1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 1000, first timer questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Dissociative, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

hey guys, i just got her all up and running and after the first 5,000lbs i got a few questions.

1- do you need to start the spinner with a boost?..if i try to start half speed it always gives me the 6 flash jam code..

2- seems to me the motor is underpowered for #1 bagged rock salt..jams quite a bit..comments?

3- vibrators, comments and pics?.. mounting locations?...

any other words of wisdom are appreciated, first spreader i have ever owned...and for 1350 i'm a little disappointed...

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

ON mine I have to push the button to boost to start the motor. I have not had any problems running ice melt, kitty litter or oil dry through mine. Have not needed a vibrator yet. I did try wet sand and it would not go through. Not sure a vibrator would have helped it go through either. Just try to make sure whatever you put in it is dry. Good Luck

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Yes you must use the boost to start off.

I have never had a problem with mine unless I over loaded it which was my own fault.

After the second year the set screw on the pulley came loose under the housing but that was a quick and cost free fix.
    Even tho I did think it was the belt at the time when it happened.

Keep the under bearing greased well and if you have run 5k pounds already I would lift off the housing inside and grease the top bearing as well.

The motor is the same motor that is in the 2000 it just has a smaller hopper and no brake light.

I have a swing mount on mine.
    It is on all winter but I can use my tailgate if need be while I am out.

That $1350 or whatever you spent will be or should be gained back within 2 years.

I not only get more per hour now but I have also been working more.
    Like the recent ice storms up here.

Saw a lot of guys driving around with just a blade on looking like someone just peed in their cornflakes.
    But I was making money smiling like a fool.

A cold wet fool but eh it was worth it. payup

4. Dissociative

i hear you on the cold wet fool...i have made back at least 70% of it already in salt only hours...

wish i could have gotten a swing away, but with a cap i could not mount the brackets..and had no interest in drilling my bumper...but climbing into bed under cap window over tailgate..SUCKS!!!!!!! :( but my salt is always nice and dry and i am out of element while loading... :eek:

as for the belt....i thought it was direct drive... :confused:

one more question.....how the hell you guys with hitch mount moving yours around??? i need to build a rack that a hand truck can move so i can load and remove this thing by myself...

how about jamming up with 1 rock salt...at half speed....seems easy to jam mine...anything i should look for??..clean dry bagged material...

5. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I run bulk Magic salt in my 1000. I have a Z80 Karrier vibrator on mine. It doesn't throw Magic as far as #1 bagged rock salt, but still performs well.

As far as operation, I just push the button and it has yet to ever jam or let me down. Salt makes a difference keeping the loballers out of my accounts.

The viberator is mounted on the tailgate side of the hopper and wired thru the factory harness. I use a relay and a switch, with a hot wire to the spreader and use the ground from the spreader motor. It still leaves a second lead wire for job lights or strobes and doesn't require a second plug in.

I run bulk Magic because I end up having the benefit of up-selling the Premium Ice melt to customers at the price of bagged rock salt....and have the benefits that go along with Magic! payup

6. Dissociative

well...my 2 wires that came in the harness are wired to..

1-parking lights for l-plate light and markers on spreader..but i could just tie this into a 7 pin and plug into my hitch ...to free up a wire...
    2-led flashers on spreader with 2 tractor lights .

so i am thinking of tieing into the led wire cuz i only run those while i am spreading...but vibe will run whole time i am spreading..

any pics of the karrier??? and how are you using the vibe?..constant or intermitent..

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

mine is the fisher version of yours, the only two times it has had a jam is once I put wet salt in it (a vibrator would help with that) and the other time in 4 years I had a problem the set screw on the pully belt (yes it does have a belt) got loose.

spray fluid film all over the bottom of your spinner shaft. I neglected mine somewhat and this year I spent 3 hours drilling grinding and cutting the bottom bearing off the shaft so I could put a new one on. Funny thing is since I put the new one on this year its so quite I have to look in the mirror to see if salt is flying:eek:

if you only use dry bagged rock salt you can load 11 at a time and have no problem.

8. Dissociative

amen to that.....i already found that out.. :nod:

and my bearings are watched carefully....this vibe has me interested...i am going to pull off cover and check belt tonight

9. Grn Mtn

its not the belt but the set screw just under the pully, you really have to get at a weird angle to adjust it.

10. matt-max

matt-max Member

been running a 1000 for a few years and really like it. considering getting another. have a 500 too.
    as has been said, only load dry product and only as much as you will use immediately or it will likely jam. it would be worth putting in a screen of some sort to keep chunks out for certain.
    we have the same vibrator on it as on our 8' flink v-box and it definitely helps out. vibe is wired seperate with a toggle under the controller. emptying the 1000 out when it jams bad sucks cause its so deep and holds so much.

i usually put in about a dozen 50# bags of miracle melt from sam's and run it slow plus burst on occassion for big areas. i don't start it on burst but sometimes it will free a jam with a press of the button. usually turning the spiner by hand will free it up.

11. Dissociative

anyone got pics of the vibe?...

12. Grn Mtn

a dozen:eek: stuff must be falling out the sides shoehorning in the extra bag:D

I may be wrong but I believe the variable speed controllers automatically pulse full blast on start up.

the only time I had to manually start the spinner by hand is when the set screw started to loosen up, so I would check that if I were you.

I'm impressed with your self control, under a 100 posts and been on since the near begining:salute:

13. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know about the new 1000's but my 2002 1000's has never jamed with #1 bagged rock salt...it will only stop spreading when it has clumps..and it still keeps spining it just doesn't flow thru...and is the "Boost" the older Blast button?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  14. 02DURAMAX

I can put 14 50lb bags of morton salt in mine and 8 80lb bags and it has never had a problem spreading it..xysport

15. 02DURAMAX

if you want a screen i'll sell you the one western sell's...But i dont even use it...the salt takes so long to flow i hate it..but if you want it ill sell you it..let me know..

16. Dissociative

i have the mesh screen..about 1" holes in it..but thanks anyway....it goes on the top....is your the same thing?...my salt goes right through it

and yeah...7 years and 28 posts.....wow....

checked my belt...all good....problem is i get the red flashing light sometimes...which means overloading the motor...don't know how it does that on 1 rock...but it does...

i think your right that it bursts the motor on start up....it's the same button...start/burst ..but if i don;t hold it for 2-3 seconds...the spinner stops and it says overload...and really doesn't like to spin anywhere under half speed...

could i have possibly gotten a bad/weak motor?? seems like if i am not balls out full blast i have problems...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  17. Dissociative

and where is the set screw? i didn't see one by the belt....that bolt by the spinner?

18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When you lift off the housing to expose the motor and pulley look at the center of the pulley where the shaft is.

Look for the side of it that is ground down to flat.

That is where the set screw tightens against.

The set screw itself is threaded through the inner part of the pulley right behind that flat spot. Or at least it should be. If it is not then turn your shaft until it is then tighten.

Just for the record.

This morning I was able to put 12 bags in my 1000.

Shoehorning is right though.
    After the 6th bag you have to reach inside and tuck the salt under the motor plate and after the 10th and 11th bag you have to tuck it under the edge and around the corners as there is some space under that lip and tuck it around the motor housing.
    After the 12th bag I had to smooth it over the top of the housing and pat it some around the edges and then i could put the top on.

It was a tight fit and the extra time it took to tuck it around the corners and under the motor housing made it not worth the effort.

Plus I figured the limit according to the book is 400 pounds.

10 bags is pushing the motor specs.
    11 is for sure over doing it.
    12 it is packed in there but it did not jam up.

I most times will run 10 at a time if the lot calls for multiple bags/loads.
    I really don't want to be spending money on a new motor for over loading all the while knowing it is my fault when it broke down.
    Which it will eventually if it is always being over loaded.

19. Grn Mtn

A Most Intelligent Reply

The only thing that would have made this post perfect would have been a picture diagram:bluebounc I nominate this reply as the best post of the month. A most informative piece of writing. Explanations of right and wrong, quotes of do's and don'ts....
    you are the man Reaper:drinkup:

20. Dissociative

well, i have never gone over 10 bags....mostly it's 3-7 for me