1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 1000 Bulk?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Showmestaterida, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Has anyone tried running bulk through a Western 1000? Good?bad?
  2. Showmestaterida

anybody?? /
  3. procut

procut Senior Member

Wont work very good. I have a 2000 and had to install a vibrator in order to run bulk.
  4. Showmestaterida

Is that the pro flow ?
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I ran bulk through my Fisher 1000 (same spreader) BUT.....you have to get a vibrator kit or it will be useless. I had zero problems once I put the vib. kit on it.
  6. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

yep, get a vibe and you will be fine......Carrier Z80 or similar.
  7. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

why do you have to install a vibrator on these types of tailgate spreaders to run bulk salt? What is so much different between bulk and bagged salt. Is it a moisture issue? I have a Western Pro Flo and thought about getting some bulk in the future so this also pertains to me. Thanks.
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Bulk salt is always going to be wetter than bagged salt. Bagged, is sealed in plastic. Bulk, is sitting outside, or even under cover, but it is still drawing humidity which make is wetter. Wet salt = clumps. Clumps mean they don't go through the tailgate spreaders without bridging over, which means the salt can't get to the auger to be dispensed on the spinner. A vibrator helps break up the clumps, and 99% of the time keeps the salt from bridging over above the auger.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It is all about the moisture.
    Also driving from location to location will cause the product to compress and it wont spread. The vibe takes care of these issues.
  10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I ran it last week when we ran out of bagged and it would bridge all the time!..Now I got a vibe and i have no problems at all anymore!
  11. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

vibe kit

Ya, i did the same thing, put a vibrator on the spreader and it works fine, but i wired it into the motor so i can control the speed but it has a 45sec duty cycle and it keeps tripping the fuse in the spreader control box??? so i think ill have to wire direct to bady via a switch right
  12. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

I would wire the vibe direct thru the spreader accessories leads. The spreader motor is controlled by a potentiometer