1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 1000 bearing removal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by moresnow, Nov 27, 2015.

1. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

Been a longtime watcher on Plowsite, have learned lots! wesport
    We have a Western 1000 tailgate salt spreader that needs the bottom bearing on the shaft replaced. What is the best way to get it off the shaft? Heat? lots of penetrating oil?
  2. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

Surely we aren't the first to have toasted the bottom bearing.... Or is there some simple trick we don't know
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can you post a pic....I think I know what spreader your talking about, but wanna make sure fist
  4. moresnow

moresnow Junior Member

I'll try an get one monday... It's just a tailgate spreader, Western 1000
  5. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

I usually end up cutting bearings off anything that is in close relationship to salt. I use a torch or the plasma cutter.
  6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Or a cut off wheel - bearings are hardened and brittle so to speak, sometimes you can crack it instead of cutting all the way thru.
  7. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

Had to replace mine last season. Tried heating it up, and finally had to take to my buddy who is a mechanic. Used an air hammer to knock it off. Work really well.
  8. plowking15

plowking15 Member

If it a saddle block or pillow block bearing there may be a locking collar with two set screws. One screw holds keyway. I have got bearings at Tractor Supply in a pinch if couldn't go to the municipal supply house. plowking
  9. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Use plenty of PBBLASTER AND A TORCH IF NEEDED. Those pillow block bearings are widely available through Granger, Tractor supply or EBay.
  10. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

And don't forget to loosen the little allen head set screws fist.