1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Western 100 spreading bulk

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mpriester, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i have been having good luck with mine spreading bulk so i thought i'd share what i did. a vibrator is a must but the main thing is i lowered the auger in the hopper, most that i have seen seem to stick up about 3" inside the hopper and from what i have found seem to jam up and throw the controller into overload so what i did was lower the auger until it sticks up about 1" above the opening inside the hopper and since i did this i have run 3 ton through it and never once had to get out and clear a jam and its even chewing up the bigger chunks and you don't have to drive at an unsafe speed spreading salt due to a lot of salt flowing and i have a better control of the flow when the businesses are open and people are present. i'm not saying it won't or can't jam up but it sure has reduced it for me and with the price difference i don't mind getting out and clearing it once in awhile.

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

When did you buy your 1000?

I know a couple of years ago they came out with a new auger shaft that some had problems with and would replace with the old shaft free at the dealer. When I was using mine I had the old style auger and it would run bulk OK but I would have to jump a curb here an there to prevent the bridging. No vibe on mine.

3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i bought it used, its probably 5 or 6 yrs old, it has the auger with smaller runs in it which is the one that had the problem jamming up but by me getting it used i would have to buy the better auger and this way was cheaper and less of a headache.

4. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

does your spreader have a vibrator?

I have a fisher 1000 which is the same as the western When i got it the vibrator was broken and wouldn't spread bulk worth a damn. But once i fixed the vibrator it spreads it with no problem

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

yes it does