1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wester pro pllus plows? gauge is so small?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, May 29, 2012.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

I've seen a handful of plows from other brands up close before "we use all boss" and always have, but the local ford dealer had 8 Western pro plus plows 8.5s and 9 footers in back, the front moldboard portion seemed paper thin compared to other brands?

Blizzard and Boss always seem to have a pretty thick front end to them, i even went back to look at our lightest duty "standard duty boss" for our 91 f150 and the front of that is thicker than the Western "pro" model even.

Is that just really their intermediate plow or is there any reason you'd need thicker front steel for the plow portion that pushes the snow? I guess you really don't need it that thick but im sure theres a reason so many plow companies have a heavy moldboard?
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We had Westerns for a number of years and never had a problem. I still have one MVP Plus Vee and it is in perfect condition. They also don't weld their moldboard to the supports which helps with a little give. If it means the plow is a little lighter I'm all for it. I try to buy only Poly blades now if they are available.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Excessive weight limits vehicle fits, is unnecessary hard on front ends and serves no real purpose on a properly engineered structure.

Boss does use 11 gage steel as opposed to DD's 14 gage but they are two different plows. Trip edge blades and full moldboard trip blades are very different animals particular in their need for diagonal cording. The same holds true for double acting cylinders and spring return.

True if you use your plow as a battering ram and/or plow areas with a lot of "floating " debris such as concrete pins and scrap timber then the thicker steel will resist denting better but on a piece of snow removal equipment properly matched to the truck working under normal operating conditions thicker does not always equal better.