1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Westen Wideout or Fisher XLS

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by six in a row, Mar 18, 2014.

1. six in a row

six in a row Junior Member
    from PA

I am new to the forum here and had a question for all you seasoned guys. I am looking to get a plow for my 08 dodge 5500 for next season. not looking to get into an argument over who's better western or fisher but I am torn between a western wideout and a fisher XLS. I herd some of the horror stories about the wideout when they first came out but haven't heard anything recently. i am leaning more towards the western just for the ease of mounting and also the added ground clearance in the off season. the support for both western and fisher are pretty much the same around here so that is pretty much a wash. thanks in advance for the advice.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You are pretty much down to which you like better, yellow or red. Remember both plows are made by the same people and a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

3. six in a row

from PA

yeah i understand that douglas dynamics makes both western and fisher. i was leaning towards western. i like red better. haha

4. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Depends, hopefuly olddog will comment on the wideout, But depends what you like better full plow trip for the western or cutting edge trip for the fisher.

5. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Has nothing to do with color.

What it comes down to is if you want a trip edge or full trip.

Personally, I love a trip edge, especially the heavier plows. It will break up hard pack way better while you'll be fighting a full trip plow.

6. six in a row

from PA

I was thinking the western full trip would be better in this situation because if the wing hits something on the fisher nothing is there to trip from what i understand.

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Poly edges, its not an issue. Fisher mounts vs Western and ground clearance...if your low enough to hit the mounts chances are your gonna be bottomed out somewhere else on the truck too.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That makes no sense. A trip edge won't drop very far, a full trip slams forward and if there is any obstacles around the wings, they're done for.

9. six in a row

from PA

yes I can see your point white gardens. guess I'm just not too familiar with the trip edge and not too trusting. please forgive my lack of knowledge.

10. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Also...as we've seen from Pat's wonderful writeup...if you treat your equipment like he does(which honestly isn't well) a Wideout WILL break.

11. six in a row

from PA

not saying I am the greatest in the world but I think my equipment gets treated pretty good. but I think if anything is abused eventually you will find the breaking point no matter how good it is.

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Fisher XLS if I buy one I run western My V plow is trip edge and I not going buy another full trip plow
    I just wish western would offer wideout in trip edge Like the truck side hook ups

13. six in a row

from PA

Decisions decisions. Sounds like this will be alittle bit tougher than I thought. I do love the western mount as well. Can anyone with a trip edge plow tell me what they like/dislike about it compared to a full trip?

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Full trip when it trips you will lose speed and something traction and you know when it trips

Trip edge it trips so fast you will never notice it
    its noisy when it trips
    Trip edge plow will be heavier then a full trip plow

I think a trip edge scrapes better then a full trip plow
    I notice this between my BossV and my MVP
    and Notice it with my skid and its trip edge vs western 8.6 pro + plow
    So I think Fisher XLS will scrape better then the wideout but I don't own neither one to know for sure

15. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Go V plow.... It can do more than a wideout plow... Also there has been issues with those plows...I'm buying a trip edge Boss DXT next season to mount on a GMC Denali 1 ton

16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I know it when my trip edge trips, every dam time. Hard to miss a 900lb plow jumping a foot in the air. Even going slow you can tell when it trips. Now my trip edge plow doesn't seem to rattle the truck as much as my old full trip plow would when being tripped. But a trip edge can definitely give a more spectacular show when it trips.

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

This true. I demand maximum and then some out of my équipement. I will give my $0.02 later when I have time.

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Wish you could demo plows like other equipment..

19. six in a row

from PA

I agree on the demo. Wish I could try them both put. I can see why a trip edge would be better than full trip but I am still leaning towards western just for the mount and the added ground clearance in the summer. Don't really want to go v plow just because I have some commercial and residential accounts and I would still have a nice small 8 foot to get in some tight spots.

20. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

that's a funny statement in the grand scheme of things.