1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

westen unimount question

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tgh117, May 14, 2007.

1. tgh117

tgh117 Junior Member

I just got a new to me western unimount 8' plow from a buddy of mine. I think it was a real steal, came off an 86 chevy township truck, but the plow was always stored inside, and doesn't even hardly have any rust on it. I don't know how to tell what year plow it is, but two of my other buddys have late 90's plows and neither of theres hardly have any paint left.

Anyway, my real problem is that when I lift the plow, I can lower it, but when the plow reachs the ground, I can't go out and push the ram down the rest of the way. I have tried putting it in the float position, having someone hold the down button, but nothing. Plow is a unimount with a cab command controller. Everything else works fine, raises fine, angles both ways fine. I need to get the ram down so i can get the chain off and adjust it one link for my truck height, plus I would like to flush the fluid out of it.

Oh and I forgot to mention that it does drop fast from the up position until it gets to the ground, so I don't really think its a quill adjustment that needs to be made. I tried searching around, but didn't really find anything that seemed to match my symptoms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

More than likely it's just the packing nut/seal at the top of the lift ram thats causing your problem. Sometimes the packing will dry out from lack of use and that causes the packings to "drag" on the lift ram. Try loosening the packing nut a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if you can then push it down by hand (with the controller in the float position of course). If it will now push down by hand, re tighten the nut and spray some penetrating oil around the top of the nut so it can soak into the packings in order to lube them up.

3. tgh117

tgh117 Junior Member

Thanks I will give that a try. After searching around I thought I would spray them down anyway, just because they probably haven't been moved in a while, so we will see in a bit if it helps. The fluid is brand new, so I didn't think it would have anything to do with that. Now I just have to wait monthes for some snow to fall so I can see if I like this better then my old meyer I used to have. I at least like the look of the truck better without the lights and pump out in the front all the time.

Tim

4. Brandon

Brandon Member

I spray mine with WD40 when it won't go down. Works every time.

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

down boy

just a thought,jut like the others said prob just lube on the packings but jack up the front of the truck then lower the plow see if it drops enough to get the chain loose!

6. tgh117

tgh117 Junior Member

Thanks for the comments. I jacked it up moved the chain a bit to retract it the full way the first time, then I put it all the way back up and used some penetrating oil on the cylinder, then that helped it. I was able to push it down some of the way, which means the packing nut might still be a wee bit tight, but I didn't have a wrench at my house to loosen it up, but now I know what the problem is, so I don't have to worry about it being busted or something for next season. I was just surprised to get a unimount plow that still has 98% of the paint on it and not all rusty!

Thanks again for the assitance

Tim