1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wesrern 7'6" pro plow slow to go left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by yard barber, Nov 4, 2014.

1. yard barber

yard barber Junior Member
    from canada

When I move plow from the right to left it is slow and makes a whining sound. I replaced the valve closest to the grill it is the longest one of the 3 not sure where else to look. Trying not to throw a bunch of $ at it if its a simple fix. Any help would be great.
    Just to clarify it moves left when operated just very slow and sounds like its overworking

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What series of plow? And why did you just replace the valve?

3. yard barber

from canada

Dealer told me that the valve I replaced is the one for the flow to left side.
    7.6 pro Plow straight blade ultra mount

4. dieselss

Could be other things. Did you look at westerns website under the mechanics guide for the proper troubleshooting process?

5. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

6. yard barber

from canada

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

It's the cause of a lot of left angle issues.

8. dp045

dp045 Junior Member

Have you replaced the hose on that side lately? If so is that when the problem started? Sometimes with some of the older hose crimpers they had an infinite type of die set that allowed the ends to be crimped so tightly that they could at least slow the flow of oil and at worse actually shut the flow of oil off, especially on 1/4" hose. If you didn't replace any hoses you might have picked up some garbage in the system somehow and it found it's way to the hose end and is causing the problem. I used to work in a hydraulics shop and made hoses and crimped the smaller hoses too tight. I always checked the ends with a wire the size of the hose end to make sure I got it right. I've even seen a piece of hose come loose kind of like a ply separation kind of thing, and act as a sort of check valve slowing the flow too. Might not hurt to check the hoses. If you have an air compressor, take the suspected hose off and blow in from one end then the other. If you get good flow from one end and poor flow from the other you've probably found your problem. Good luck.

9. dieselss

That hose issue you speak of....Wouldn't it also restrict the flow while going the other way? Restricting flow out of the cylinder as well

10. dp045

dp045 Junior Member

Reply to slow plow one way

Not necessarily If the problem is a ply separation, the piece of hose coming loose, call it a flap, has a sort of a hinge on it. When the oil lows one way the flap is pushed up out of the way. When the oil flows the other way, it grabs the flap and essentially closes it. I've seen that happen numerous times in all different sizes of hose. Because it only does it one way it can really have you scratching your head. If it's contamination like rust or gasket material or just plain dirt that gets in when topping off the oil it's not as likely but the oil can push it to the end of the hose where the hose coupling is slightly smaller than the ID of the hose when the oil returns, it spreads it out and allows the oil to pass. The speed both ways is affected but more so in the one direction. Like I said, it's not as likely but it is possible. If the end was crimped too tightly, you're right, it would slow it down both ways so you could discount that. I'd take the hose off and check it with air anyway. It's a way to rule out one possibility and might just be a cheap fix if the hose is obstructed.

11. yard barber

from canada

Thanks for all the replies. Removed poppet was hung up on small debris. All good now