1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Were to get Bulk Salt in North Shore of MA

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by merrimacmill, Dec 18, 2007.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I've been spreading bagged rock salt through my meyers tailgate spreader this year and I'm getting real tired of cutting bags. I'd like to start using bulk. I'm thinking of getting one of those round plastic covered shelters and storing a few tons in there. I have a small JD loader for putting it in the spreader.

The problem is WHERE to get it. I'm in Newburyport, MA which is on the north shore of MA right by southern NH. So if anyone knows weres a good place to get bulk salt around my area let me know. I would need it delivered since I don't have a dump. I called a local landscapers supply and they wanted $83 a ton and $35 for delivery. From what I've read around this site, that seems kind of high.

Any help is appriciated,

thanks

2. amscapes03

amscapes03 Member

i've got a buddy who picks up salt at the docks in boston and drops it off at differant locations for the state. i'll give him a shout tomorrow and see if he can help you out.

3. merrimacmill

from MA

Alright, thanks I appriciate it.

4. johnnard

johnnard Junior Member
    from NH

Bulk Salt

You can get it in Portsmouth NH. Exit 7 off Route 95 North. Bottom of the ramp take a right, the pile is about a mile down on the left. Granite State Minerial. $56.50 a ton picked up. I'm not sure about delivery, but there must be some trucking companies they deal with. From Newburyport it about a 20 minute drive straight up 95. Good luck...think snow

5. merrimacmill

from MA

Is that the huge pile of salt I always see next to the ship yard? I'm only looking for about 3-4 tons. I'm assembling a round roof shelter right now that will cover it. Its 8X10 feet and about 8 feet high. Would a trucking company fill an order this small for a reasonable price?

6. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

83 a ton isnt too bad considering that northeast nursery is letting it go for 120 a ton