1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Were the CJ jeeps better for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Jan 25, 2005.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I can say that I have the ultimate Jeep that Chrysler has made so far, the Jeep Rubicon. I called around for prices for a new Plow and the guy that sells Snoway told me that they don't have a packaged for the Rubicon. I don't understand why Chrysler voided my warranty for having a plow and Plow makers are not making plows for this jeep. I can't think of a vehicle closer to the CJ's (that had a great history for plowing). 2 years of pulling a trailer full of lawn equipment and plowing snow and it's running like a clock with no problems except for my plow falling apart. I would like to know why guy's liked the old CJs...I can't imagine the lack of heat and having to shift gears would have been that fun.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  2. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Marty, as I mentioned to you, I plowed for 11 years with a Meyer on a 1978 CJ7. That Jeep had a factory installed TH400 transmission in it and it plowed very good. At first thought when I got my TJ I thought the CJ7 plowed considerably better, but the CJ had the Quadratrac 4wd which kicked in automatically if you started losing traction so I hardly ever had to lock it in 4.
    I don't know about the newer Jeeps with automatics, but my current TJ has a 5spd manual. It took some time for me to get used to plowing with the stick, but I haven't had any major problems and I"ve plowed big snows, small snows, and everything in between for the past 6 years with this TJ.

This past storm we got was a doozy yes, but it was difficult for everyone no matter what. I don't know if you plow commercial or residential or a mix, but I'd say for any big commercial stuff you'd be better off with a 4wd PU and a bigger plow. On the other hand, if residential is your thing then the Jeep will plow circles around the big trucks. I was plowing side by side same size driveways the other night with a guy in a Ford PU and due to being able to maneuver around faster, I finished my driveway before he did. Shoot, I was plowing most driveways in a 360 degree fashion - something that enables you to get it done much faster, but something that no way you can do with a pickup truck. (We got roughly 28" of snow here)

All in all though I am doing the same work with the TJ that I did with the CJ.
  3. divihydroseed

divihydroseed Junior Member

I've used pickups with big 8' fisher's for years. I just got a Wrangler a couple storms ago and I left my pickup home this past storm in favor of the Jeep.

It's an 02 Wrangler with the bigger engine - Sahara package. With the visibility I've been able to get right up to garage doors, and have very little shoveling now. For residential, you can't beat it. Even for some of my small commercial it outplows the pickup.
  4. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Your plow is a Meyer and it's only two years old and it fell apart? Something wrong there. When I bought my CJ in 1988 it had a 4 year old Meyer on it, and I plowed it for 11 more years then sold the Jeep to a guy in Vermont who wanted it for plowing his driveway. Over the years I had the plow sandblasted and painted once, replaced the plow springs, the angle pistons and the hoses, but that plow held up awesome and believe me, I didn't baby it in the least. I don't know exactly what broke but I recall you said the plow broke real bad. If I were you I'd go over to your Meyer dealer and start making some noise if you think that the plow should have been able to withstand whatever it was that happened.
  5. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Jeep CJ plowing

I have plowed with Jeep Cj's for years. My first was a 1946 CJ 2a with a manual pump between the seats that you pumped with your right arm to raise the plow.

I love the early CJ's for plowing, two speed transfer cases with real gears, 5:38 to 1 axle ratios, four cylinders without fan clutches that sing an unmistakable song when you rev them up, real leaf springs, a tow bar on the back end that will not pull off the frame even if you tow a 5 ton truck out of a snow bank, butt whupping tough little vehicles with excellent axle housings, and strong frames.

The bad things were, vacuum wipers that stop when you go up a hill, heaters that were about as good as a can of sterno in the middle of a field, you could run either the heater or the defroster, but not both, not enough capacity for both, and brakes that were marginal at best.

The CJ changed for the better when American Motors bought them. You actually got a heater defroster combo that worked in the winter, real brakes, and good steering, as well as excellent motors, either the straight six or the 304 V8.

Later, when leaf springs were replaced with coil springs in 1996, frames got thinner, rear tow bar became a joke, and the transer case is a sissy now. Try to double clutch and shift it from 4 wheel low to high when rolling- you can't do it! You could in the old ones though.

I plow jeeps or I don't plow, that includes an animal jeep pick up from 1962.

I use reliable Monarch belt driven pumps too. They have never failed me.
  6. martyman

martyman Senior Member

Sorry Luppy I put two years but it's actually 7 years...I made a mistake. My plow is a Western light duty 6.5 and it's held up well until this year. I was thinking of looking for an old jeep and getting a heavier plow for residentials because it seems as though all the plows for my jeep are light duty...[​IMG]
  7. Luppy

Luppy Senior Member

Oh ok. I assumed the avatar you had of a Jeep with a Meyer plow was your setup. The link you posted brings me to a log in page asking for a username & password.
  8. smiti105

smiti105 Member

Plowed with an 83 CJ7 for the first time this year and I thought it worked great. Meyer 6.5 on the front and nothing went terribly wrong at all. Added ballast the second time I went out and what a difference there was. The weight helped out a whole lot. Cant complain about CJ's in the least.