1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

We're makin Brine!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by navyman, Nov 11, 2015.

1. navyman

navyman Member

I got this assembled yesterday and so far it works great! had to make some minor adjustments.

012.jpg

2. LogansLawnCare

LogansLawnCare Member

I like the set up! We are currently looking into making our own brine this year as well. I'm excited to hear how it works out for you

3. navyman

navyman Member

We are new to Brine too, but have spent months researching and feel confident we can use it correctly. let me know if you need any help.

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Nice looking setup. Keep us informed on how it works.

5. navyman

navyman Member

right now we have about 500 lbs salt to 400 gallons water and the salimeter is only at 40....

6. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

2.5 pounds of salt to 1 gallon of water.

water weights approx. 8lbs per gallon... a finished brine should be at 10.5 gallons. when you mix this with an corrosive inhibitor (like road guard 8) youre running at approx. 11 lbs per gallon, total weight.
    so if you have a 300 gallon spray tank youre at 3,300 pounds of product.

Our tank is 750, and we don't fill it all the way....stuff gets heavy!

7. navyman

navyman Member

my largest tank is my hydroseeder and it is 1200 gal. I also have a 500 that I spray with.... the 1200 is storage on wheels...all stainless so no corrosion, the other 500 is poly.

8. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Looks good man. We used similar build last season and had to build a new one this season because we grew out of it. Good luck with it this season :drinkup:

9. navyman

navyman Member

Thanks, I am still trying to fig. out the cal. chlor. part. Not sure if I add cal. to the 23.3% sodium or a lessor sodium %. I worry about suspension. Will adding cal.contribute to the overall chloride % thus losing suspension?

10. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

From what i have read , do a 90/10 mix (90% salt brine and 10% lcc) and it seems to work well and stay mixed.

11. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

There has been a few on here that add dry Calcium Flake to there Brine maker and let it blend together with success I believe, but from my experience and research I would mix your dry calcium in a separate tank with water, get it to 32%, then add 10% to your Brine storage tank.

12. navyman

navyman Member

so will the eutectic point change? since sodium chlor will fall out of suspension after 23.3% will adding the calcium contribute to the total chloride content and the resulting % would be more like 33% + and the brine will fall out of suspension?

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Hmm don't think so, I'm sure someone would have brought that up since a ton of guys run 90/10. Case of thinking to much it sounds like.

14. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Correct, dont think too much into all of this, we did the same thing last year. Make your brine at 23-24% close to 60 degree water, unload it into storage. Make your calcium in a separate tank to 32%( put water in first, dont melt your **** to the ground). Add 10% of your calcium to how ever many gallons of your brine storage tank. Then go spray and make some $$$ It can store all year and be fine. That's it....

15. navyman

navyman Member

Could be, I do that sometimes. Just want to get a full understanding so I can actually calculate rather than speculate. I probably should have studied Chemistry rather than Electronics, may have led me into something other than Landscaping/Lawncare & Snow removal.

16. terrapro

from MI

You know what I have been overthinking the last couple years? Making the brine in my spray tank since I have not had the spac for a storage tank...the only thing that Kubota and I couldn't figure is how to protect the pump from damage of the large chunks. Mesh bags are the only thing we came up with.
    Or I thought up of a 55gal drum to hold the salt and use your pump and spray tank to continuously run the water trough the 55gal drum to make the brine. There are so many of us that pay insane $$ for someone else to store our product in huge tanks that we don't have the availability to.

17. navyman

navyman Member

Thanks. I will try this...

18. navyman

navyman Member

How much 4" perforated tile with sock will a 300 gal. tote hold????? slots are small enough to keep all dangerous sized salt out. the sock will do even better. I use this stuff for lake supply sprinkler systems, and usually only 10 ft. lengths. at 18-20 GPM.

19. navyman

navyman Member

How much 4" perforated tile with sock will a 300 gal. tote hold????? slots are small enough to keep all dangerous sized salt out. the sock will do even better. I use this stuff for lake supply sprinkler systems, and usually only 10 ft. lengths. at 18-20 GPM.

20. terrapro

from MI

That's funny cause that's what I use for inertia reduction in my spray tank.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015