1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Were do you guys ground to?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ICindrich, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I have my negitive cable going to the negitive terminal on my battery. This is how western's diagram has it shown, but every other electrical thing I have installed (stereo's, ez dumper) have all been grounded to the frame. Thanks, Ivan

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

For my plows, I run the ground cable to the same spot the alt is grounded to or the -neg post on the battery.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

To the Battery, Thats where all the other grounds end up eventially so save the problem of a bad ground later and go right to the source.

4. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

grounding

There are typically three grounds (DC returns) on a vehicle that all end up at the battery; chassis, frame and engine.

Your stereo is using the chassis ground for example.

The wiring that provides a ground is designed to take a "normal" load as anticipated by the vehicle manufacturer. Every year it seems pricing pressures cause the manufacturers to reduce their costs. This often means that things that used to be designed with 400x capability are now 1.5x. Something you could get away with on a vintage pickup may no longer be advisable. My old 2500 had a 4" wide weaved ribbon for an engine to frame ground path. My new truck has something like an 8ga wire.

If you connect a large amp draw appliance to the frame ground, all those electrons have to tramp down that same skimpy wire to get back to the battery. It's sharing the same path as all of the other equipment using that ground path. Take a look at the wire gauge used on your truck to provide the frame ground. If you must, add up all the electrical loads using that path and compare it to the amp rating for that wire. Be aware that each connection will have some resistance to it and that may impact the total current capability of the path.

All things considered, you're better off connecting it directly to the battery...

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Just a question?:waving: I thought you were going to recommend a larger ground strap from the block to frame ground and to the battery also.. lol
    My reason is that your battery also uses those little 8g wires for ground also.
    As electricity likes to flow down the wire with the least resistance first. Thats way i sugested useing the same grounding spot as the alt uses as a ground. After I switchad the ground wire to there, my lights stop dimming and my plow ran better too.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2006
  6. Brandon

Brandon Member

Not to steal this thread, but this is along the same lines, so here goes....where do you guys tap into for your 12V source? I know it doesn't really matter, but I was wondering if there is a common place that is used by many?

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I can see your point:nod:,Probably the most convent spot. The battery terminals or the fuse box are good spots to get power from, but few accessory's draw 100amps or more like your plow.

8. rwilimo

rwilimo Member

If you are talking about the main power feed for your plow, only connect it to the battery, it is to high amperage to connect through oem wiring. As well unless you have heavy oem grounds (or upgraded) I would go straight to the battery.

9. Brandon

Brandon Member

I'm actually referring to a fused 16? Gauge wire that is in my Western Harness...I'd have to look at it again,but I believe it's for the controller. It's supposed to be hooked up to a source that's hot when the key is on and key on, engine running.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You can find a power source in the fuse box that is controlled by the ignition switch.
    You may need a fuse tap. Find one that is not for something vital like air-bag lol

11. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Acc

I can tell you it was a real PITA on my Trailblazer. The fuse box is in the engine compartment. It seems they employ a distributed power scheme where the fused feeds are always powered. These power feeds go directly to the appliance where power is controlled.

I couldn't find one spot in the fuse box that acted like an ACC line. I finally found the main ACC feed in the column that originated from the ignition switch and tapped into it.

Like was mentioned, it took alot of looking to insure it wasn't an airbag feed or similar. Last thing I wanted was the chance of having the air bag deploy in my face when I switched the controller on :dizzy:

12. Brandon

Brandon Member

I found an unused spot in my fuse panel in the dash that I tapped into for the 12V. It works, so I guess I'm good to go.