1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

were do people learn this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clark lawn, Dec 28, 2009.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

Last night i sent a text to the two guys that work for me at about 630 telling them we will be working tonight. I get a call from one of them telling me that the other one called him and told him to call me and tell me he wasnt coming in at that time it is to early for him but he could start at about 9 when his girl friend leaves for work. So I try to call him he wont answer the phone, doesnt show up, screwed me for the night. Then today at 10 this morning he calls me and tells me he is heading to the shop to get his pay from last week. I tell him payday is friday but since its the holiday it will be ready on thursday after 5. I then ask him what happened to him last night and he just changed the suject and he is now pi$$ed at me because he needs to pay his cell phone today or it gets shut off. I told him not my problem. When he called he didnt ask if he could get paid early he told me i was paying him early and if he would have come to work and then asked me for his pay early i would have done it. He fails to see that it is not my responsablity to make sure he has money to pay his bills. This is not the first to quit with no notice and then want their last pay right then, like im supossed to drop everything to take care of them.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ahh, the joys of employees. This is a tough business for employers unless you have something else going on to give them plenty of hours. It's relatively low pay, sporadic/unpredictable hours. Crappy overnights and long shifts. Should probably have a third guy in the loop, and rotate them through. Then you have a spare guy.....

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! damn employees think it is their right to be paid whenever they say BOOO!!!, i have finally laid down the law with my employees, that it wont be happening any more. I have had the same problem with a guy, and he is one of my head guys, BUT if he shows up late one more time, or demands pay earlly one more time, i am seriously contemplating firing him!!!

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Lay off and firings are paid immediately. Quitting is when you get your final check by mail.

5. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

It's no different in any other business any more. They think that you are privileged to have them working for you, just because they show up, even if they are late, and only do enough to keep you from complaining. My 12 year old is a better worker than 90% of my employees, because he sees the time and effort that I put in to make a good life for him. He likes to get paid to work for me but I can't blame him for that, since I taught him! He pushed a Snow blower for 2 hours the other day. Gave him 40 bucks even though he would have done it for a 10 spot. Why not, I can't find an adult anymore that's reliable enough to show up and do a good job, and he saved me from having to do it after I had sat in the Truck for 6 hours straight.

6. clark lawn

from NE ohio

that what my wife just said, were she works if you quit your final check is mailed to you. she told me put it in the mail late thursday and he should have it on monday. funny he has no money to pay his cell phone but he sure had it when he was at the bar saterday night. maybe that money is no good for phone just beers.

7. Kubota 8540

You guys are pretty easy going. When you come to work for me, its all simple. Its my way or I will see ya later. No democracy here. Terms are all laid out ahead of time.

8. Kubota 8540

I have had experience of these facts, not from the employer end.:laughing:

9. clark lawn

from NE ohio

instead of laying them off i just work them in the shop cleaning and repairing stuff unless it snows if no snow then they get 15-20 hours a week. with the excption of this week we are shut down except for snow til jan 4. so not like hes not making any money.

10. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i tell them this up front.

You do yoru part correctly, show up on time, do a good job. you get paid on time

you dont show up, you just cost me money, you get your last check when i get a chance to look into it. i just might decided to hold it until i can do an inventory on every tool i own and every pound of salt i got. take a guess how often that happens.

this job is not for everyone. if you dont like it you can say so, ill shake your hand and pay you with a thank you for your help. and a quick last check. But the key is finish the shift, dont not show up or not leave in the middle of it

11. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

When they fail to show or call I will mail a check....someday....lmao

12. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

sounds to me like you could have done your part also by calling them instead of texting them

seems to me like a teenagers way of doing things

13. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

They got the message. If you read the original post, one called the other to get out of calling the "boss".

14. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The company that i sub for only texts us. That way they can say it once and get all of us. I like it that way.. they normally give me an hour notice as to when i should meet them at the shop.

15. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

I think this is the reason most people don't want to be the employer...

16. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I would fire hire personally. If he no showed you on this storm then comes in an demands pay? You already haver cause for fire to prevent him from filing unemployment. The Dept. of Labor states he gets paid when he normally does, regardless of firing/quitting. I had a similar employee that would pull that sh%t when he got broke. He would want paid early, to complain non-stop about being broke, and generally drive me nuts. I finally let him go after two years this fall. He was the main foreman because he could really fly getting work done, but ultimately the lateness, attitude, and situations much like yours pushed me over the edge. Good luck

17. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I have had these problems for years. The main problem is that there was never any good workers out there. There used to be so many jobs that pay so well that I couldn't get an employees unless I paid them double. Well now, my employees finally work for me. I have work, steady work all year, and a line of people at my door looking for a job because they know I pay well and pay every week. They always get paid. So, its kind of nice to be able to tell an employee, "bye bye", and then have a good replacement the next day. I would tell that guy who didn't come in that he is fired. Sorry but too many good hard workers without jobs that you can hire. You run a business that makes money, not a non for profit shop.

18. mud

mud Senior Member

I still remember an old farmer I used to work for off and onn telling his grand kid one time, "this world has got along without Jesus for 2000 years, this farm will last with out you". He ended up canning the kid the next day when he was late again for milking. Got me more hours so I had no complaints lol.

19. kylecal91

kylecal91 Junior Member

That's a smart farmer.

20. can i bragg?????????

As a plower some 30 years ,i seen it all.!!! i had 3 men one night in the middle of the set,to tell me they wanted a raise or they quit.I FIRED THEM ALL ,on the spot,shut 2 trucks down and one loader ,GO HOME.leave equipment where it is,hahahahaha I had all the equipment up and running in 2 hours and i had to show my bud how to use the backhoe loader first ,as i had to drive truck.oh by the way MY DAD had just left fer fla.I WAS LEFT to look after the business.lol,i figured if the men had a beef take it up with the boss,cause the bosses son is just a caretaker!!!!!! NOW my son @22 years of age ,i pay him like a man !$20.00 per hour ,and he JUST AMAZE'S ME,at how good he is ,not hard on equipment ,AND GETS THE JOB DONE RIGHT ,the first time.I:cool: pay him like a man ,and a man is what i got.I finally realized i get paid the same if i work or not ,so now i pile as much on WAYNE as i can ,he loves it and comes back for more,THANK YOU for letting me bragg about my son.he,he,he,all them years ''stuck'' sitting beside dad [me] has paid off!!!!!!my son is better than me ,more than any man could pray for ,respect,Gary