1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Went to see Boss, Fisher and Curtis yesterday....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by homey1, Nov 13, 2004.

1. homey1

homey1 Member

Still lookin for an 8' for my '99 F250 SD. The Boss was hands down the easiest mount/dismount system. Curtis was good and the Fisher MM2 was weak, the dealer wouldn't even the the blade off!! So now I'm leaning toward the Boss 8' with trip edge. They all looked well built (all have 2 year or 2 season warranties) and like everyone says around here, "They all push snow!" Is the Western worth looking at for $400 more than the Boss?

2 more questions:
    1) Joystick or touch pad?
    2) 8' or 8'6"??

Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to buy something this week and I'll post picks when the new rig is bolted on. Can't wait! Snow is coming soon!!

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I would go with the joystick. I find you are always looking down at the touch pad. I would go with the 8'6" and the Fisher mount is great. Just bought a Fisher last week and the mount is easy to use and I don't see any problems.

3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I perfer joystick type controls over handheld/touchpad controls, only because the joystick stays in one place, and its more natural. By natural i mean your moving your hand up to raise, down to lower, and left/right to angle. Touchpads are just pushing buttons, all the same. As far as plow,boss, curtis, western and fisher, its hard to go wrong with any of them. I can speak for curtis i own 2 of them. A 7'6" and a 7', excellent plows, zero problems, plowed all day today, mounting system is great, the only advantage the curtis has over the boss is the truckside mount itself. The curtis mount is barely noticable whereas the boss hangs low. It may not matter to you though. Fishers are great as well, i have used a fisher V quite a bit at my house in NH, love it.
    My opinion; go with the boss or curtis, everyone and his brother runs fishers around New England, be different!
    Good Luck whatever you choose. :drinkup:

4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Well, I'm prejudiced because I have an 8' Boss trip edge and I love it, and you're right about the SmartHitch2 system, it's great.
    Alot of guys on here run Westerns and like them, so yeah, look at it. You have to decide for yourself what you want.
    Joystick vs. touchpad is another personal choice, it's whatever is most comfortable for you to operate while you are driving the truck.
    I have a handheld touch control for mine which suits me fine because when I'm not using it I unplug it and toss it in my console. It's also easy to use. But, there are guys who swear by a joystick.
    As far as the plow size goes, I'd stick with an 8 footer with a 3/4 ton truck. If you're gonna run an 8' 6" you may need to beef up the front end to compensate for the weight, such as going to 1 ton springs or adding timbrens. You should talk to Big Nate about that. Dave/Bolts Industries also can help you there I think. Overloading your vehicle is not a good idea.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If most of your plowing is driveways or smaller parking lots then the 8' is great. At most it is only a couple of extra passes. I would recomend putting Timbrens in regardless of the plow size. They are about $150. With everything else you are going to spend this is cheap. Plowing is hard on everything. Even the smallest amout of help is priceless. If you can find a poly plow this is also good. I know they are a few pounds more but the snow really sticks to the steel ones sometimes and you can drive around with an extra few hundred pounds. JMO and experience. :)

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Funny you said that, I've been noticing that with my touch pad. My question is though, does the joystick have to be mounted permanently or can you get rid of it off-season? And when it is mounted, where do they mount it? Just like I wouldn't want to be leaning forward all night with my hand on the radio knob, I wouldn't want to be doing the same thing with a joystick. That's what I do like about the pad, it just sits in my lap or on the seat next to my leg. Doesn't your back get sore leaning over to hold on to the joystick while you're plowing for hours?? Just curious.

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

John I have made a bracket for mine. I have a Dodge like you and it has the centre console. When you lift the lid on the console I mounted the bracket with 2 small screws on the very left hand side of the console. My bracket runs straight out from the console, turns 90 degrees towards the seat and then back out 90 degrees towards the dash again. I have mounted the joystick on this so the top of it is just over the console. I can rest my arm on the console and operate the joystick. It plugs in the same as a touchpad. I do have to take the 2 screws out but this is only 30 seconds. It works well for me. I am right handed. I put a towel between the bracket and the console just to protect it.

8. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

cet: Hey, thanks for the info. The way you describe it sounds great actually, I think I may try it. Having to keep looking at the touchpad is kind of a pain but I was taking it in trade for it's convenience in placement. You've given me something new to think about, no reason I can't have both and end up using the setup I like best. I appreciate it, thanks again! :drinkup:

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When I bought my new plow in 99 the said the touchpad was the best thing out there. I had never tried one and said I would give it a go. I put velcroe on it and must of tried it in 5 different spots. Went back 3 weeks later and told them I didn't have the touch of a surgen and I couldn't find the pressure points without looking. I seem to always know where the joystick is. :drinkup:

10. homey1

homey1 Member

Good thoughts on the joystick vs. touchpad issue. I am used to a Fisher joystick on my old Bronco, so I think I'll stick with that. The joystick is completely intuitive...up is up and left is left, etc.

The Boss mount does hang low off the truck. That is a concern of mine. Has anyone had any problems with mounts hitting things?

11. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Nope, not with mine, but my 2500 has plenty of ground clearance. Also, I don't go 4 wheeling off season. From what I read in the threads about the front ends of Chevy trucks sagging, it may be an issue for them. I'll say one thing, hanging a bit low or not, it is one solid mount!

12. maurader

maurader Member

I too just went through the same decision making process. A lot of good choice out there! I went with the Fisher x-blade because it was only $20 more than the 8ft Boss poly and I had a choice between the joystick and the handheld. For the Boss it was $90 more for the handheld. I went with the hand held for the Fisher and I'm sure it'll take some getting used to. I've always used a joystick before and I still have one laying around just in case.
    Good luck with your decision.

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've got the joystick and the hand-control. I like both of them. As far as the mount clearance, I don't take mine off-roading so it's not an issue. I've got a good foot clearance.

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

My firends father has a boss on an F-250 and the mount will bottom out when you pull into a parking lot that goes up a steep incline. Personally i like a nice neat, low profile mount. Does it matter much when it comes to effectiveness? NO. It soold not be too much of a probelm unless you go off road.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The way I understand mounts is the A frame is supposed to sit horizontal with the ground. The ground clearence is going to be the same on all trucks. If a GM sits lower to the ground then a Dodge then the mounting brackets on the truck will be made in such a way that they are all the same distance from the ground. If not the A frame is not level, when you angle the blade one side may not be touching the ground. This is only MO.

16. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I have a Western plow and I went with the hand-control and I love it ive used a joystick and the hand-control at least Western control is hands down the better way to go. I also have used the big bulky hand-control on a meyer and it was terrible its a huge square box I think its the same control that curtis uses and I hated it so Id look at the hand-control and if it looks uncomfortable it probably is. JMO

17. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I have to agree with cet. I mounted my joy stick on my center console and it very comfortable and you don't have to reach for it. Also I have a 7'6" super duty Boss on my chevy 1/2 ton, it sags about 2" and I haven't had any problems with it hitting anything. I haven't had an opportunity to plow with it yet so this winter may tell a different story. I am considering putting the timbrens on my truck to help out. Kevin :bluebounc

18. homey1

homey1 Member

the boss mount was 7.75" off the ground when we measured it. looked a little low hanging down in front of the truck.

19. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have the same truck only a diesel. Put another spring under the front and you'll eleminate the low clearance problem. I did. :nod:

20. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Joy stick mounted on the shifter works nice too but I prefer my handheld.

Duno what was screwed on the fisher minute mount? I really can drop or pick up my blade in a minute? Wesern and fisher and boss(I just dont like boss V's) are all nice blades, you wont go wrong either way, its down to what options you like the best.

What kinda accounts do you have? An 8.5 isnt much heavier than a 8' although a 8'er with some pro wings may be a good idea. Just ditch that rubber crap that comes with the pro wings if you get em.