1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

went off the road

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bow2no1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

yesterday i was plowing an association road, the customers are constantly asking me to push it back further. last year i asked them to put up some winter stick so i knew where the edge of the road is. they neglected tp to any up.

yesterday we only got a couple inches of snow, i was in the area and figured i would just quickly scape them out and put a little snow back. i went right off the edge of the road. i had to be towed out of the ditch. the tow drive said i should send them the bill since they neglected to put up any winter sticks.

what do you guys do?
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Personally, we almost always put up the stake & chances are they wouldve been knocked over by now here. Consider it a learning experience, dont push banks back.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I always supply, and install all stakes on any property I plow, just for this very reason. If you put them up, you know they are in the right place. If you don't put them up, then tow bills are a very good possibility.
  4. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

i have been plowing them for 3 years. this is the 1st time i have been stuck there. i have gone off before but usually with shovel and a little sand i come right out.

the other association i plow they have been putting up winter sticks for a few years now. after every storm they have a guy that some down and shovels down the tops of the banking's and if we get allot he come in with a bobcat and gets it out of they way. they have been awesome customers! they do all of this on their own accord with no suggestions from me. also this association is a longer road then the 1st one but there is only 4 houses on it.

the association i got stuck on has about 10 houses on it.
  5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Take it as a lesson learned. You decided to push back the banks, and misjudged the road. We always stake our drives and roads, to avoid what happen to you, and to minimize property damage.
  6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

The Customer shouldn't have to pay for stakes, Thats your job :nod:
  7. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

luckily my farther owns the towing service.... i'm asking everyone opinion here because my father said to send them the bill. he says thats what the other plow guys would do.

i mean yes i consider it a lesson learned.. lesson 1 don't listin to the customer!
    but on the other hand i did ask them to put up winter sticks. also now the side of the road are getting built up and some of the snow just comes back in the road. they don't seem to be willing to take care of this. i'm not going to do it unless i'm getting paid to. my job is plowing the road.
    i have a tractor and offered to do all the road maintenance. seems to me it would be easier to have one person do all the work????
  8. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

it may be. different areas do things differently. from the people i ask locally the customer installs the steaks. although if this had been discussed a little better between my self and the association prior to winter. i would prefer to install them my self. it only makes logical since.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

how do you not know where the edge is after 3 years?
  10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ok I want New York strip :D

but since the customer didn't put them in; why didn't you check to see they were in. Then you could have charged them to put stakes in.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i would put up my wn plow markers for this situation
  12. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

For what 30 bucks you can buy 1x2 and a can of bright paint and make a pile of them. Seems alot cheaper then a 300 dollar tow bill
  13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Why is your father charging you for the recovery?

We use the stakes as a bargaining chip in contract negotiations now. We can start off with charging a "Staking Fee", then we will usually compliment it in order to give the appearance of providing some extra value to the customer, and let them feel that they "won" some. I learned that just this past year, and it does seem to work well. I don't want the customer staking their property, as they often do not understand what types of things we want staked, and where we usually stake them. They are an important yet often overlooked part of this business though.
  14. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

I do several Association roads here, I make sure when plowing the first storm to plow rite to the edge of the road and leave a small snow bank then you know where the edge is.... then on the rest of the storms I can go faster and usually through the snow up and over.... Once in a while when there has been alot of snow The road needs to be winged back.... But I've only had to do that twice in the last 15 years...
  15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

bingo, learn your lots if you dont want to spent a few bucks
  16. espyj

espyj Member

Stakes aren't expensive. I bought the ones from Angelos this fall and installed them myself. Its cheap insurance against turf repair or truck damage
  17. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We stake our lots, why not. $.40 a fiberglass marker from Angelos (100 = $40 is how they sell them) 1/2 a day to put them up and saves a ton of time, dirt, seed and straw in the spring. Customers have never been happier. Plus I wouldn't have called a wrecker. I would have walked to the party store and got a 6 pack and waited for one of my plowing buddies to show up and the by him a drink at the bar. Just sayin!
  18. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

I love the ones from Angelos!!! Thumbs Up You can mow those things right over with the plow and they stand right back up.:laughing: Never using wood again.
  19. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

you got stuck.....you pay the bill
    if you break your plow is a customer supposed to pay for it
  20. D&E

D&E Senior Member

1. Why is your dad charging you to pull your truck out if he owns the company?

2. You can't bill them. Since we're on the topic of stakes and steaks, it wouldn't be right for a restaurant to bill you for an extra plate because the one they put your steak on broke in the kitchen before they brought it out to you.

Getting stuck happens sometimes. It's just part of the game.