1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by PatrickC, Jun 13, 2010.

1. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

Howdy all, New to the site names Patrick and I have a question. I finally mowed enough lawns to buy a 1996 crew 7.3 Powerstroke F350 (nice) and wonder as I often do, what Boss v plow to hang off the front of this monster, I had a meyers and my happiest day was giving that to my son it was getting old and tiresome working on it. I have a 2 acre propetry (commercial) and some long driveways (rich area) plowing to do in winter. I learned after 43 years it is better to ask questions first then buy things rather than find out that was a huge mistake later, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

had an 8'2 on my F350,,,,cant be beat. You will NEVER consider meyer again,,,,then again you wouldnt consider meyer again even if you taped a refrigerator box to the front of your truck and plowed with it.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

buy a 9'2 vxt since you are in colorado and they get like 2' of snow every day even in the summer :D

but seriosly, get an 8'2 or a 9'2 vxt

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9-2 VXT with wings.

5. ajslands

this guys' got the right idea!:mechanic::mechanic::mechanic::mechanic:

6. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

What kind of weight is the 9-2 ? not that it would be an issue with this beast of a truck I bought. You know it is nice being able to go uphill with a trailer not being a boat anchor, with these power strokes you could probably pull a house. Can't wait to push some snow around, well yeah I can lol:eek:

7. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

This is exactly what that thing reminded me of a crappy refer from a foreclosure would have been better LOL ROTFLMAO

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know the Fords very well, but running a 7.3 Crew you are likely going to exceed your FAWR with anything other than a Sport Duty. The weight difference from an 8-2 to 9-2 is negligible. And when plowing with a Land Yacht, wider is better.

9. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

This truck has been modified in the respect of the bed, it was wrecked and I had a pronghorn flatbed with heavy duty headache rack built into it put on the rear so I still have to figure out the ballast rate and as for the FAWR I am concerned about damging or putting undue wear on the front end but my accounts are within 2 miles of home base so I have no idea if it is going to be that big a hit on the front end. Just looked at my FAWR says 4600lbs

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It would be good idea to weigh the truck, each axle. That will let know what you're up against. You can offset some of the plow weight with ballast/counterweight, but that truck is so long it's going to be of limited impact. I suspect most guys will tell you the D60 is plenty capable of handling most any plow you want. It would be a good idea though to service the wheel bearings, synthetic grease. And keep the ball joints well greased also.

Air bags/timbrens/helper springs may be needed too.

11. ajslands

is it a short bed?

the plow only ways 852 lbs, youll be fine!

12. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

It was a long bed and we put on a flat bed same length but Im sure it weighs more. I was reading the Boss site and they say 788 lbs for the V now is the V that much more in cost versus a straight blade ? or better for that matter

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  13. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

worlddddddds,,,,,galaxy's better,,,,,,,even tho i still prefer the look of a straight blade on a pickup,,,,but the preference ends there.

14. PatrickC

PatrickC Senior Member

the truck I got was a county truck I'll have to do some research because I bet the county bought it with upgraded suspension, after all it was Denver and my tax dollars so it would figure......

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Not even close. The Vee is the only way to go

16. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

My reg. cab long box with the 9-2 poly works fine. Something like 960 lbs. or so added weight. All steel is 100 lbs. or so less. Added Timbrens or it would hit the ground veed back on big bumps. 7.3 no problems. V plow is the only way to go for me.

17. ajslands

The poly is 10 lbs heavier than the steel!

18. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Oops my bad on the weight diff. 960 supposedly included mount, etc.

19. 2005_Sierra

2005_Sierra Senior Member

For 5 years my dad was running a 8' Fisher on a 96 CCLB 4wd PSD and it didn't even make the truck squat 1/2 inch with out any ballast. That plow weighed 720 pounds but all that weight was 2+ feet in front of the bumper. With the VXT even though it weighs 850 pounds a lot of that weight will be back near the trucks bumper when you are driving between accounts.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The door sticker, is the door sticker, is the door sticker, if the truck was upgraded they would have at least added a weight modification sticker. 4600LBS axle carrying a 7.3 Powerjoke (Hi Rick:waving:) and a CCLB will be WAY overloaded by about any plow available.