1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well, we picked up our first commercial contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by breadoflife, Nov 19, 2009.

1. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

Well, we picked up our first commercial contract...well, our first contract period...
    so im pretty excited(and yes, i was the door to door salesman here, so im pretty stoked :) ) Anyhoo, This is my proposed plowing plan, now the plow lines arent all 100% accurate, but its to give a general idea. We had wanted $250 per push, and the man told me another guy offered him $155(without sidewalks) i told him that i guess we could beat it a little, and he told me no need, just match it. i told him ok(we will probably do the sidewalks too). The person i talked to, who referred me here i found out, is the pastors wife, and us being another church based business, they apparently favored us over john doe... Anyhoo, heres the pic: :drinkup:

2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

At least it's an easy one. Pretty big for the price, but to each his own.
  3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I wouldn't have touched it for that price.
  4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I would put that in the $2500 a month range...
  5. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

Congrats. Hope you make money at it and gain some experience.
  6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

congrats man, hope it works out well for you
  7. redman6565

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

$155 a push..... Well maybe if per push. But, your looking at 1.5 hour of work. Throwing in shoveling for free . :eek: You'll loose your tail on that one.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

No, I get $80 to do a 200ft driveway. payup
  10. redman6565

hahaha i figured...hey whatever works
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Looking at your legend, you never plow large area's like that with your plow straight. Either east or west for the south lot and angled east for the east lot. Never do walks for free, they are more work then you think.
  12. redman6565

i actually missed the part where he said he was doing the hand shoveling for free...idk bout that...i think his plowing price is in line but i don't hand shovel anything for free
  13. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

i would say $250 to plow the lot. It is straight forward with no obstacles. As for doing the walks for free that is something pay a premium for in my book. At 4 in the morning when it is 10 degrees out and that wind is blowing you will be pretty pissed off saying you would throw the walks in. But other then good luck and it is your first one so it will be a good learning experience.
  14. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

Plow price is close. But no charge for the shoveling? No buddy would go there and shovel for nothing. Make the best.
  15. big acres

big acres Senior Member

First, congrats on the new account.

Not to rain on your parade, but the guy who told you $155 may have just been a quick thinker who was looking out for the church. How's that for faith in your fellow man?

$155 is pretty low, especially if you were any closer to the cities. I'm sure you've got a lot of part-timers up there that would do it cheap though. Good news is churches have lax hours that will allow you to add more biz during prime time.

I don't get up towards Zimm often, but I think I've seen you guys around... white dump, red letters maybe? How do you define "church based business"? Not bashing at all -just curious.
  16. breadoflife

breadoflife Member

No, we are new to the area... we have a (not so cute) little K-10 with a 7.5ft blade, so i knew i couldnt pull the more cost for faster service, and i couldnt charge much extra for more time because we would lose it anyways. we are mainly trying to get our foot in the door and get a good business image, which is why we might throw in the walks for free(we sometimes run a two man crew, one plows one blows/shovels) we arent trying to make a huge profit and explode(although we would like to) we are just trying to get out there. so even if we were to break even, or lose a few bux, if it has the potential to benefit us in the long term, thats what matters.

i think i could plow straight for most snows, also the $155 is only up to 6", we are just matching the other offer, otherwise what would you guys reccomend? Ill get you the info and maybe someone can use a better satellite imaging than the free stuff online and maybe help me out with a more accurate plow plan.

First Love Fellowship Church
    12564 303rd Ave, Princeton, MN

We are only about 8 miles away so distance isnt an issue...
  17. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Congrats on your first contract...... like all of us, we learn from our mistakes.....up to 6" with that 7.5 for $155? and shoveling for free? you should have stuck to your first quote.. you won't make any $ on it but hopefully you'll understand where I'm coming from in the spring when you wonder where all your $ you've "made" went....

Good luck
  18. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Im not sure which is crazier, shoveling walks for free, or sitting down and drawing that catastrophe. But hey, good luck this year! and congratulations

JKMATHIEU Junior Member

Congrats Man! Prices look low but you gotta start somewhere!
  20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Listen to what the man is telling you.

Sure, you can plow straight, you could also shovel the whole lot, but neither way is efficient.

Listen and learn, especially with a 7.5' blade. Seems like it would be a shovel to me. Not knocking, just saying I haven't used that small of a blade since, since.......well, I can't remember. Other than my Jeep or RTV, that is. And my RTV can have a 7'2" blade.

Good luck.