1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well We have a blizzard coming in tonight

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Loni1113, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Loni1113

Loni1113 Senior Member
    from Utah

I will post pictures of the first blizzard in over a decade in Utah. They are estimated 8-15 inches of snow starting tonight around 5-6 and going through tomorrow morning around 11. Schools are cancelled and people are being told to stay home!!
    I will keep everyone posted.
  2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

I would love a white turkey day. Good luck in the beautiful land you've got there.
  3. RCsLawncare

RCsLawncare Senior Member

Good luck, don't forget the camera!!
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wish we were getting snow
  5. snowman6

snowman6 Senior Member

Have fun and be safe. Can't wait to see the pics.
  6. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Good luck, We all wish it was snowing here!
  7. SServices

SServices Senior Member

Stupid rain! :cry:. Be safe and make some payup and make the rest of us jealous.:salute:
  8. justinizzi

justinizzi Senior Member

Have fun man dont forget the pic's.
  9. osbo68

osbo68 Member

blizzard my @#$

What blizzard... I'm in north utah and they said same thing.. News called it the 2010 Blizzard.. :laughing: Got Maybe 2 inchs.. Shoveled and salted the drive and can't even justify going out because the ground is so warm with 40* temps today it's mostly melted.. Me and Mama sat here on the couch and had a good laugh at the news man... Hope you get more where your at.. Have fun
  10. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

Have fun and be safe.
  11. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Nice! We got 3 on Monday, 8 last night, and another 3-5 expected tomorrow with snow continuing through next week Wednesday.payup
  12. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

So much for what the media called the storm of the century. In Ogden it started snowing at 5pm. had enough to plow by 6. and I was seeing dark blue skies shortly after 7pm. then spent all night doing all my routes myself due to an alternator going out on 1 truck about 7:30 and the bulk salter no working on the other truck. Left me worth just my old plow truck. took 10 hours to finish all 3 routes myself. and another 3 hours to resalt with small salter.
  13. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

What part of MI are u From?!?!??!?!!??
    We Got rain this past week and Flurries last week.......
    But im in Westbloomfield so you could have!
  14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I believe Tubby's a yooper.

He get's to play with real snow depths.
  15. Tubby's Snow Plowing

I'm in the Keweenaw.

Last year was dry with 150 inches. Prior year was county average of 217 inches but my village got pounded with almost 400 inches. Average is 200-250 inches per winter.
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  16. Tubby's Snow Plowing

17. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Show off.....:)
  18. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

19. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

Our totals for this last week were 4" Sat., 1" Sun., 2" Mon.,( Blizzard ) Tues 4" to 6",
    today windy . Last week totals averaged depending upon location 8" to 12" in the valley, 4' 0" to 6' 0" in the mountains. Great week for plowing I'm pooped out. Looking foward to possible snow next week. :):)
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  20. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Yeah, but you're plowing for cheapskates at $150-200 per month just to get contracts from most residential clients. They pay the gas bill and the commercial accounts make us profit. Last year was nice for seasonal because it didn't snow after March yet we got paid for March and April since it was contracted payments. We lucked out on that one but this year it's been nothing but wet heavy snow thus far and people are getting cheaper and cheaper. Still quoting the same just taking less accounts. But they'll call for a good blizzard and they won't like the bill when they see it.payup

Big problem up here is the supply/demand economics works against the businesses. We get a lot of snow, but there are a lot of guys that plow for themselves plus a couple others. With the low population density here, the supply exceeds demand which lowers price of service. That coupled with the economic depression this area has been in the last 40 years (since the copper mines closed) makes it a tough go up here for this business. Next year I'm expanding operations for Green Bay/Fox Cities, WI. They get a third of the snowfall but high population density with good income statistics means that's a money maker with plenty of room for more competition.

Buffalo NY claims to be the snowiest east of the Missisippi River, but the Keweenaw Peninsula of Upper Michigan holds the trophy in that regard. They just have better news reporters than us. We quietly go on about our business while they show it all off on CNN.:D