1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well Water and salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PPP, Mar 12, 2007.

1. PPP

PPP Member

Quick question:
    My mother recently moved to a place that has well water and I just found out that the town does not use salt because it can damage the water supply. I've been heavily salting the driveway and walkway all winter long as well as the section of street in front of her house (its on an outside corner of a well traveled side street). Is one of the salt substitutes a safer alternative that will not affect the well water situation. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Easy

Easy Senior Member

Cinders and sand, or a mix of salt and cinders is what is used where I live. most chemicals are usually taboo in well country......You don't want the salt to leach into the wells, drilling a new well can be very expensive.
    Do you know how deep the well is?? The deeper the better for keeping out surface pollution..
    Don

3. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I live in a small town in s.e. michigan and everyone is on a well here. I do comercial lots here and salt them when ever it snows. No one has ever said anything about the water supply. The county dumps tons of salt on the road, and the village dpw also dumps salt all winter. I haven't heard of any water supply problems. As long as your water isn't comming out of a storm drain I think your safe. Everything from mcdonalds to tacobell gets salt and they also use well water. I wouldn't worry about unless you have high blood pressure LOL !!! Seriously though salt is not as much as a concern as fertilizer and other chemiclas used during the summer. Just my opinon.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Generally, you're not going to get well contamination with salt that is spread. Contamination is most common from salt storage areas because of the concentrated runoff. That is why there are specific requirements for construction of salt storage areas to contain runoff. There will also be restrictions as to the amount of salt that can be stored and storage location. Salt occurs naturally in the ground, but like anything, there can be too much of anything with disastrous results. There have been several instances in Maine of well contamination due to salt runoff from city storage buildings. Some towns have been held responsible, which gets interesting. It's not like they can just dig another well since the whole area is contaminated. Bottom line - unless you are storing salt, you should be fine. Check your State laws pertaining amount of salt that can be stored and how storage units must be constructed. I think Maine is 100 tons and 100 feet from any well.

5. PPP

PPP Member

Thanks Guys,
    Thats a load off my mind. They put in a new well 2 years ago at 80ft.

Thanks Agian

6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

when I had my well hooked up, they told me that it only takes 3 feet of sand/soil to filter and "clean" ground water........for what it is worth......

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

OK, let me get this straight, you live on Cape Cod--which if memory serves is a peninsula surrounded by the ocean (salt water) and they're worried about salt runoff from parking lots and roads? :dizzy:

Gotta love the libs in Taxachussetts.

That's as good as the Snow Dump thread where they're worried about snow being dumped in the ocean. IT's OK to dump it on the beach so it gets filtered, but in this case, the ground can't filter it.

Oops, not supposed to point out the inconsistencies in liberal\environmental whacko's arguments. Sorry for being logical.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  8. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I like your thinking Mark....

9. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Took the words right out of my brain!

Tim