Snow Plowing Forum banner

Well the Plow is installed and had my neighbor already ask

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  asps4u 
#1 ·
Well the deed is done.. plow is on the truck. When I pulled up at the house to drop off the plow my neighbor came up to me and asked if I was going to do driveways. I told her nicely that I am going to be sub contracting to a company so I have no idea my availability. Plus I cant be responsible for slips and falls and I dont put down salt. Hell I barely put down salt on my drive way. Just in certain spots when I have company.

I know many of you guys would say jump on it. Plow for them.

However, I dont want the risk. Should i just polity decline the work. Is there a way to protect myself? Hell I can just do the sub contracting and not worry about these kinds of things. But the extra cash is always nice. Specially when she mentioned 4 other people on our block that would probably be interested all of them I have spoken to in passing of course. BTW These same 4 people all have the same lawn company cutting there lawn. However that lawn company does not plow.

So.. Pro's? Con's? Should I just sub-contract and not worry about liability?

#2 ·
Do yourself a favor, do a search on neighbors. Have a GOOD contract in place with any neighbor you do business with as they are all looking for a great price, preferential treatment, and will be hard (impossible) to satisfy.

I live on a back country road and only have 2 neighbors, I plow their drives for free after I'm all done, last thing I do before I go home, even after my own. If they want it sooner they need to call someone and get a contract. If I break down and don't get there, oh well. I only have 2 neighbors so it's not bad no clean up just in and out, but not something I would recommend if you have more neighbors, then the freebie list never ends. But since I do them for free there are never any complaints, first complaint I stop plowing.

#3 ·
You pretty much said what I just did. I was outside moving some stuff around in the garage and ran into her again. Well she lives right next door. I told her that if I am done with my route and noticed they havent cleaned there drive I will be more then happy to do it for free as long as they salt if they want it done. She was very grateful. I think this is the best for a neighbor that is right next door. They are great neighbors and I dont want to ruin that.

Thanks for the advice.. just made me feel that much better in my decision

#5 ·
Freebies are always done last for me too.

#6 ·
I do my next door neighbor for free after everything else and especially if I see him out trying to shovel it. He's too old to be doing that. But he understands that he's last on the list and is ok with it because he doesn't go out much when it snows anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.