1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well its either going to be a Boss 7.6 or a Fisher 7.6. Any pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jacktheb, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Im either going to buy a new Boss or Fisher 7'6" straight blade plow. Would anyone that has experience with one or both please list off the pros and cons? Im also wondering the difference in pricing for parts when they break down... I thought I read somewhere Boss had expensive replacement parts... Thanks in advance for any replies!

2. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Sorry I cant give you any input on BOSS parts pricing as I've owned my 7'6" for 4 winters and never had to replace a thing:D I also had a 7'6" Fisher on my old Chevy but it was only a MM1 so it really wasnt apples to apples. BOSS makes a great product and even offers the trip edge plow to compete with fishers trip edge though I've always liked the full blade trip better myself. From looking at all the plows around here I also have to say the BOSS paint holds up great compared to many others. Mine still looks all but new but partly due to the fact it gets washed and taken off after every storm. Everybody tells you dealer support is key but In my own defense I could have bought a western, fisher or snow way and had a closer dealer but the fact that my BOSS never breaks down minimizes the need for dealer support though is should still be a factor for you. Also both my plows are interchangable, Straight blade and V's and I dont know of any other manufacturer that does that though I could be wrong. Reason I went with BOSS is simple, I have friends in the business that plow and never had any problems with theirs. One of them got 8 years of full commercial plowing out of his before he had any work done to it and all he needed was a couple hundred dollar pump that our not so local dealer(an hour away) had right in stock and he was back out on the road and hasnt had a problem since. As far as hook up goes both Fisher and BOSS like fairly level ground to hook up which is the case with most except I hear the new Westerns work on uneven ground a little better. sorry for going on and on. hope this helps. oh and as a side note go at least 8'. I wish I had. when turning the truck ends up riding into the snowbank. Also not sure what your looking at doing or the truck it will go on but the V's are in my opinion the way to go. wesport

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i wouldnt call them pros or cons. b/c you are comparing 2 plows that have nothing in common.

it basically comes down to do you want chain lift,trip edge, manual mounting and yellow. or full trip, direct hydrolic lift, electronic mount, and red.

its all preferance.

but the boss being full trip will be easier on the vehical than the fisher. b/c when you do hit something do you want to have the whole plow fold over and take the beating. or do you want the plow to jump 2 feet in the air and stress the truck.

thats my .02 its up to you.

but personally i would go fisher.

4. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I agree and I like the full trip but let it be widely know that BOSS does have just a trip edge plow! oh and I did forget the chain vs. direct hydro lift but thats one reason why the Boss plows are so darn fast. And the Electric mount is sooooooooooooo sweet :)

can I ask why you chose Fisher? :gunsfiring:

5. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Well the truck is a 2005 F-150 FX4(Ford). I just realized that the Boss doesn't work for my truck.. I went on the Boss site and when you do the plow finder the one I want doesn't even come up.(7'6" standard duty). The dealer I was talking to here didnt say it woudlnt work or it was probably border line too heavy.. I guess that leaves me with one choice and it would be Fisher. I actually had decided to go with the Boss Trip Edge.. I liked the looks, faster hydraulics, better lighting and ease of hookup/drop. I cant believe Im paying $7000 Canadian for a plow.. OH well it will pay for itself in 2 seasons.. (I have around 10 driveways)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

I thought the trip edge plow made the plowing smoother and you lose less snow when it does trip. Also the trip edge is better to use when there is lots of ice under the snow, so I hear...... Ive never plowed before but thats what people have been telling me...

7. beatle78

beatle78 Senior Member

I thought the full trip was harder on the truck? If you hit something the whole plow folds down and then slams back into the truck on the return.

8. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I have tons of fishers, very reliable, well built. They make a lighter duty that I have on one of our F-150's It was a little cheaper that the MM, but its not the home steader. Came through with the poly cutting edge that didn't last so we replaced it with the steel edge, other wise no problems

9. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Would you recommend the LD over the SD? I have around 10 regular house driveways to do... I cant seem to find an MM... I have their brochure but is has nothing with MM in it..

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I've had two 7'6 Fishers (still have one) and I bought a Boss 8'2 poly V in the fall so this is my first time with the Boss plows and I will say so far so good and very fast.

I dont think you can go wrong between either brand but I would choose a trip edge plow over a full trip straight blade, just what I prefer.

Where about's in New Brunswick are you?

11. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Thanks for the reply.... Im going to go with the Fisher.. Tks for the info..
    Im in St John..

12. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

7 thousand? hmm who gave you that quote?

Fisher and Boss are both good plows it all comes down to the final price and customer service I myself like both Springworks and Parts for trucks I just can't see why its 7 grand,heck a new 8' Curtis full trip is $5100 plus hst out at Debway in the industrial park

13. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

that was parts for trucks... It was around 6200 taxes in then 350 to get it installed. More like 6500.... Still is high though... Bad time of year to be buying.... Fisher is a little more expensive than most though..

14. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I checked their web site. It is the SD model that I have on the F150 we have, we did not have to add the timbrens or air bags to it. Its has been a good plow, just like all mu=y other Fishers. If I could change anything, I would add a third spring to give the trip edge a little more strength. BTW the MM stands for "Minute Mount"

15. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Oh ok perfect.. My truck is in the shop now getting it installed. Do you have to put any weight in the back of that truck? I know the web site calls for 800lbs.. Seems a little extreme to me. Im looking at a picture of the back of the plow right now and it comes with 3 trip edge springs... Is yours an older model maybe?

16. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

The picture I saw on the web only had two springs and the big storm on the 19th had some heavy snow and the guy who drives it was complaining that it was tripping when he would get a big pile.
    He never does the counter weight and the truck looks good w/ the plow. It doesn't look like we are killing the truck with it.

17. Jacktheb

Jacktheb Junior Member
    from NB

Ok thanks for the info! I just picked it up and the truck handles fine with the plow on. I don't even find a difference in the handling. Thanks again for the info!

18. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

To bad you couldn't have found a used plow back in the fall, I had seen a one year old Boss 7'6 V to fit a F150 for $3500. Oh well, the Fisher will work great for you (great plows) just remember to look after it and keep it cleaned up after each storm to help keep it looking like new.

19. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Boss has much faster/stronger hydraulic performance in my opinion and this is coming from a western owner and I'll be switching to boss for next year

20. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Congrats,parts is a great dealer and should treat you well and the it sounds you'll be useing the new plow tonight payup