1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well, I'm started on the way...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kcolagio, Nov 11, 2004.

1. kcolagio

kcolagio Junior Member

I picked up a '87 Ford Bronco and am going to start building it up into a plow truck. I don't expect to do this before the snow starts flying this year (since it snowed the other day), but I do need some recommendations on moving in the right direction. This is going to strictly be for personal and/or drive-by plowings.

What I've read is that I may need to beef up the front end. Here's what the door sticker says:

GAWR
    Front: 2450 (along with tire stats)
    Rear: 3750 (along with tire stats)

Spring: UZ (this is in the lower right corner, but I don't know if it's important).

The truck is not in _bad_ shape...with a few rust holes (as to be expected), but the two things that do concern me are:
    -- The plastic locking hub centers are melted out (or it looks melted to me).
    -- The brakes need a bit of work.

The brakes, I can handle.
    The hub centers, I'm not sure of. Does this mean the whole hub needs to be replaced? How can I tell?

Also, what would be the best size tire to use?

So any/all comments, ideas, thoughts, etc are welcome. If you have a plow recommendation for me, I'm interested in those too.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Colagio

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

As for the tires I would go with what size is recommended on the door, or at least something close. One thing to remember about tires for snow plowing is that wider is not really a good thing, narrower tires will generally "cut" through the snow better. Also for ice, it is better to have tires with more of the thin cuts in the tires (called sipes???), they provide more surface area.

On the hubs does the 4wd work?? do they turn freely?? By the sound of it I would replace them.

I would also be concerned by the light weight rating on the front axle... the truck alone must be close to the maximum rated weight. I have no experience with broncos, maybe someone with one can help you out there.

3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Try this thread buddy.http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=17936 This is the information the guys gave me when I was thinking about buying one of these rigs. Full size Broncos are truly awesome trucks, I just needed a F250 with a long bed. As far as those hubs go, just replace them with a set of Warn lockouts.