1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well......I smashed a large in my moldboard......

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by dmontgomery, Feb 14, 2007.

1. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Ok so I just got in from 28+ hours of plowing......the second to the last lot I really had to hit a plowed 2' wall of ice and snow to get through it......Well I now have a large hole in my ploy skin......

BASHER.......can you get me prices on new poly and the Stainless Steel boards for a 29.....

Thanks......

Derek

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dereck, I cracked my moldboards and to fix it I put sheet metal on both sides, riveted them together and made sure the metal was wide enough to have the supports behind them. Has worked fine for 5 years. Might be worth a try till you can get replacements.

3. dmontgomery

yeah I had actually thought of that.......I have used it for a few residentials since and it is still working.....but I will want to replace it.......

Thanks again...

Derek

4. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

If you can't get a new skin quick, just get someone with a wirefeed to repair her - may need to put a patch on.

OOPS - poly! Ignore all above!

Dang good reason to buy STEEL only!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Just take you old piece of poly off and go to a glass shop and get another piece same size made up. got to be cheaper than getting it through the dealer. Could do the same with stainless although i think they put a big bend in the steel skin, and it attaches differently.

6. dmontgomery

I just realized I forgot the word "hole" in the subject line........lack of sleep does that......I will call a glass shop.......thanks......

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Make sure it's lexen (or it's equivalent) not Plexiglas

8. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Or don't buy a Snoway, When you can bend the lexan by pushing on it with your thumb in the summer, how strong can it possible be. My dealer tried selling me one and I laughed at him. Poly is awsome, when it's half inch thick like an Arctic. :nod:

9. dmontgomery

If you have never used a Snoway your opinions are of little value to me....thank you very much

this is the first problem of any kind I have had in 5 years.....and most likely my fault....

........in fact I have been way more effective than my partner with his Fisher and Western in scraping up this ice we have.....

10. snowman2025

snowman2025 Senior Member

The DP really does well for picking that ice and snow mix up off the road doesn't it :)

Also, this is what i was pushing with my 9ft 32series POLY

[​IMG]

11. dmontgomery

That is awsome......I will be getting a new Stainless steel.....board.....I just have to go pick it up.....

12. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

Hey why don't you try some duct tape on both sides till you get a new one.It's quick and easy . Guys don't laugh it saved the guys life on apollo 13...

13. vwovw

vwovw Senior Member

i have to poly snoways one for over five years. no problems here. love my caddy of plows

14. dmontgomery

it is actually still works OK for drives......I don't want to spend any time on it until I get the new board......

15. dmontgomery

before........

before the fix......

broken.JPG

16. dmontgomery

after the fix........

fixed.JPG

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Nice job. :drinkup:

18. now that's pretty! :)

19. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

how thick is that stainless??????

20. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

that photo just made my mind up. there is something seriously wrong with that.

go steel. go fisher. i had no opinion at all unti you posted that photo.
    i have one now.