1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well I sat this one out.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HALH VT, Apr 7, 2007.

1. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Instead of plowing snow Thursday, I went to the dentist and had a tooth pulled. I was miserable all day the day before, but the oral surgeon wasn't available, and the only help I could get was a shot of long acting anesthetic, and a big bottle of codeine. I didn't think my customers would appreciate if if I showed up Thursday morning all drugged out, so i called a buddy to cover for me.

Now I am having a little trouble figuring out how to pay him. Most of the drives are priced time and materials, with only a few set price ones. I told him to do the least possible job to make them passable, as they are all gravel and pushing the driveway up on the lawn doesn't set well, especially with people who think they are finished with plowing of the year. Anyway, most of them came out just under my minimum charge, and the total won't come up to much more than I need to pay him. There is some travel time in there, and some unbilled work around my place as well. Should I just give him the whole amount, or should I mark up the prices a little to give myself some. I am leaning toward giving him all of it, and being glad they got done.

I am still not thinking really clear, face is all swelled up and it hurts to swallow, and I am still taking painkillers. Maybe once this clears up I will be able to figure it out for myself.

2. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I was thinking of how I would do this as well.

Are you going to have him do your billing/collections and explanations phone calls etc. You can give it all if you want, but if you were unavailable for a whole season would you still but handle the steaking and billing for free? If somone gave me a list/map etc and all I did was plow that would be much easyer than the whole deal.

After talking to some other guys, hourly rate is more common. Not so often a percentage of 50-75% depending on the experience and job done.