1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well i had to make a backup hitch too.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by maelawncare, Dec 8, 2009.

1. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Just got finished with it. Used scrap laying around. Most everyone i saw was just make one go into the receiver hitch and that's it.

I wanted to still have access to the receiver hitch. For a winch or my backup salt spreader.

I had the extension laying around and used some steel laying around as well. I forgot to take pics of the welding process, but im not that good of a welder so :p The corners grinded out nicely though.

I used some low profile lights i found from autozone that i bought last year. They use some kind of rod lense like projectors. I haven't wired up a relay yet so i dont really know how bright they are.

I still have some anti skid tape to put on top for a step, and thinking about adding some LEDs but i just wanted to get it finished up.

001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

Looks good. Can't wait to see it finished.

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, those lights look mean haha. Would look really good with some mesh across the front too!

4. maelawncare

yea i was thinking about that. To protect them. Just worried that it might block off some of the light since there so small. I got some mesh laying around so ill mock it up and see what it looks like.

I am now thinking about putting some strobes in there since i have room. And i have a few leds laying around for running lights, just dont know how to hide the wires for them yet.

5. maelawncare

Well i got it wired up. Works pretty good. The truck lights light up around the truck pretty good and these throw it out further so i can see even better.

I have some more led floods on order that i hope will be a little brighter. So i might switch to those if their good enough.

001.jpg

002.jpg

6. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Looks nice.Great job I wish I could make things like that.I have to get my friends to make stuff like that. Good thing most of my friends weld. Looks great though.

7. maelawncare

I'll get some better pics up tomorrow. All these were taken with my phone. gotta get my camera out of the other truck.

8. G.M.Landscaping

When I was looking for some backup lights, I tested a bunch in the auto parts store. I tried those and those seemed to be the worst ones for light output. Of course that was in a lighted store. How are those at night?

Also don't buy those led driving lights at the auto parts store. They suck. I bought some.

I ended up spending $200 on 4 good lights.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  9. maelawncare

10. G.M.Landscaping

I bet those are going to be pretty bright. And $40 a piece isn't cheap. I bought some round lights with 6 big led's in them and they are super bright.

Post up the pics when you get them mounted.

These are the one's I bought. I have more pics on one of my threads.
    [​IMG]

11. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Nice work on the hitch rig. :salute:

Any update on the Maxxima LED lights?
    The seller mentions spot and flood in the description. I think I'd want more of a flood effect for backup lights, especially if the weather was crappy.

Inquiring minds wanna know. ;)

12. maelawncare

Yes actually. I wound up doing a quick wiring with them on my main truck. I havent had time to finish my headache rack so i just put them somewhere simple. I'll post pics up later. So far they are pretty dang bright and really small. I like them.

13. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

what maxxima lights are you talking about???

14. maelawncare

These. They are bright. And considering how small they are. I am very impressed. But i have bigger things planned for this truck :D I just needed something to get me through tonight.

005.jpg

004.jpg

15. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

oh gotcha, maxxima makes great products. I walked into my local truck accesorie shop and the guy was really impressed with their lights on my truck and now carries them. I always joke I should get a cut after showing them to him.

16. maelawncare

Yea these are my first maxxima lights. I like them. Once i get my backrack done their gonna be pointing out the side of the truck. I like them.