1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well I Did It !!!

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by SnowGuy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Just pulled the trigger and bought a new Salt Dogg SHPE2000 poly V-Box spreader, still tied down in my new 2011 F350 CC Powerstroke! Any suggestions, tips, ideas on use, mounting, etc. Thought somebody might have some pointers or experiences to share concerning this particular spreader. THANKS !!!
  2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

They are easy to mount in the truck, Just make sure the small cleats sit against the back of you bed with the tailgate off and it is centered in the truck(side to side), Cross the straps in an X shape with the rear salter tie down going to the front hook in your truck and the front salter tie down going to the rear hook in your truck. Also build a wooden frame in the front of your truck so it helps keep it from moving around. Any other questions just ask. I have installed these units several times on customer vehicles.
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They have removed the "cleats" on the newer SHPE2000/1500 here are the instructions for the wooden support frame.

http://www.saltdogg.com/Instruction Sheets/3012207_Rev_B.pdf

Note the center piece fitting under the center of the spreader
  4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

We usually use the frame the spreader is shipped on and saw off the end where the chute goes. Works perfect
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. KCD Snow Pro

KCD Snow Pro Member
    from IL.

SHPE 2000 Note

We've used one for three years and had great luck with it. Just be sure to clean it after use, (duh) and if the new ones still have the auger bearing in them, make SURE you keep it greased. Other than that, dont see any worries. Wait, scratch that... Almost forgot..

You may want to be conservative with the auger speed when/if spreading REALLY fine pre wet salt. We ended up with some really fine beneath zero pre wet bagged product one time because we ran out of our usual. Threw it in the hopper, put the auger on pretty high and the liquid mag and salt just gummed and smeared the auger into a rotating solid chloride shaft. No salt into the auger transport, and no salt out of the hopper. PITA! Was a bit of freak occurrence IMO. Hadn't seen Beneath Zero that fine before/since and havent had a problem like that again.

I just put a bunch of small salt rocks/goobers from inside the truck bed in with the BZ and was good to go after I managed to get them sucked in and clear out the auger by working it back and forth. It should pass about a 1 inch solid pretty easy although it might need to cycle back and forth a time or two if it pinches between the auger and trough/tray. For its size you're gonna be salting some nice sq footage with that rig!
  7. fci

fci Senior Member

I have 4 of them, they work great. Don't hit the vibrator more than a few seconds at a time or the auger will lock up. Most of the time it will free itself up . I keep a 1 1/4 inch open end wrench on all our trucks, if the auger locks up you have to remove the spinner and turn the auger back and forth to free it up.
  8. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Senior Member
    from NW Ohio

Any ideas on how much (how far) to open the adjustable "plates" in the bottom of the spreader ???
  9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Depends on material. I like to use a white very clean salt and have my rear port open about 3 inches and my front port opened almost all the way. When I've run a wetter/dirtier material I've had them both open all the way.
  10. CGSI

CGSI Junior Member

PM me please
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You don't have PM privileges here. Shoot me an email snowtech @ basherandson.com