1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

well i bought a jeep

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by V8GremlinX, Oct 25, 2003.

1. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

it is a 90 Jeep XJ 4x4
    pretty good shape, has some driveabitlty issues maybe someone could help me with

when i accelerate it shifts fine, but when i let off gas slightly it kinda is jerky
    it does have the maintance emmissons light on
    and it slightly rough

other thing was how do u get it into 4WD low
    the lever stops at in mddle at full time high

let me know if u can help
  2. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

most lever-shifted transfer cases have a detent that requires you to move the shifter to the side to continue beyond the "safe zone" of 2H-4H. It probably needs to move right before it will travel any further.

Funny story follows:
    A guy I went wheeling with in a late-80's F-150 couldn't get out of low range. His t-case had a detent that wouldn't let him out of low without moving the shifter to the side. He was under it, in it, yanking on it, beating on it, and about to unlock the hubs and drive home at 40mph... I got in and shifted it out...

There's usually a line on the diagram that details the shift pattern, but it's easily overlooked.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2003
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I drove a mid 90's cherokee and used low range for pulling 2 jetskis out of the water and you had to move the shifter to the right then pull back after you get to 4wd hi
  4. V8GremlinX

V8GremlinX Junior Member

well i got it into low 4x4, this may sound stupid but i have only driven a 4x4 with a botton on dash
    what gear do u gotta be into to move lever?
    um after having it in low, it does work, but when i put it back the light that says part time stayed on
    now it won't go off
    i gear a air sound maybe sounding a like a vacum leak comeing from up front
    i gotta get this 4x4 going before i can put a snoway on :)
  5. MSB1766

MSB1766 Member

You have to put the trans in neutral
  6. wyldman

wyldman Member

It may take a while for the light to go out.Outting it in neutral does help.

As far as the driveabilty problem,check with DC,there was a recall on faulty O2 sensors.

Don't worry about the light,it just comes on at a preset mileage.Doesn't actually mean anythings wrong.

Also check the PCV fixed orifice.It's a tube than runs from the back of the rocker cover to the intake,and it gets plugged.Get an updated one from the dealer,otherwise the air cleaner tends to fill up with oil.
  7. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

If you have "full time" high in a Cherokee you have the Selec-trac (NP242) T-case.

With an automatic transmission: drive forward about 2-3 mph, without stopping shift the trans into "N" then pull the handle back all the way (there is a slight rightward movement after "full-time" high, then back left after "N").

-John :cool: