1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well I actually plowed(more than i planned too......)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nascar Fan, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Made no money as i only plow for family and close friends to keep the wear factor down on the truck and because i still have not figured out this PITA Fisher,but on the good side I managed to get it to go all the way up on a regular basis.I pulled the battery,because under load,(picking the plow up) it was reading about 10 to 11 volts,altenator is putting out 14 steady@ idle so had the battery checked at Advance Auto and it came back bad.I replaced it with a 750cca and 125 reserve--the old Interstate was a 550cca unknown reserve.It however is still real,real slow to go up or down.I mean after plowing my mons place that is about 450 feet total,it is still slow after it's warm.I going to see if at the Fisher web site there is a replacement quill,as mine looks like it was broken off or something.I took it completely out and it's still not as fast as it should be.I also noticed that some ace mechanic butched the wiring because my plow lights are real real dim and the truck headlamps are still runing even when the plowlights are on.The turn signals do not work on the plowlights and even when it's hooked or unhooked, my truck has only low beam headlights if i hit the highbeams they both go out plow or no plow.every once in a while they will work but something is wrong.I will however say i had an absolute blast plowing.I will try to get some pics of what i did get accomplished.Thanks for all the help guys, i was really thinking of not plowing at all and just thinking it's not worth it.Boy was i wrong.I cant wait to start making money!!!!! :drinkup:

2. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Any Ideas??????

3. intimidator

intimidator Member

Sounds like you need to get a wiring diagram and re-wire the whole thing, or at least fix whats butchered up. Had the same problem with my plow, switched wiring harness (complete) and now it works like a new one. Good luck!

4. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

Have you checked some of the obvious? (We all miss them once in awhile). Good truck ground from the battery? Good ground and power connections at the plow. If it's older, doesn't hurt to take them off, clean them up and reseal. You may also have a motor on the way out on the plow.

5. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

One more thing. I lost my motor on Western once. Replaced it and later in the day the alternator was wasted. If connections are bad or motor is drawing too much current, it may just take some prisoners with it. The battery may just be the first victim.

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Electrical Problems

Welcome to the world of Plowing for Fun and Profit.
    Sorry about the long post, this is one of my strong points in repairs.
    Biggest thing with a plow truck having electrical problems is to make sure ALL the connections are clean ( as in shiny metal to shiny metal ) attached tightly and have "Dielectric" (tune up) grease put on them to seal out moisture and gunk. Every electrical plug (junctions) you serrate needs grease put in them also. Ground wires are real important, "stuff" will feed back thru other "stuff" in search of a ground.Check every black wire you see bolted to the engine and in the engine compartment. There are a few to the core support. The dirty connections make more resistance to current flow, so it takes more amps and longer draw to get the same work done. Trace all the wires from the controls all the way to the plow, Bet you find a few broken or grounding out on an edge somewhere. The Haynes manuals have a good section on electrical "fixing" in the vehicle "electrical"
    section. Such as replacing terminals,splicing,trouble shooting etc.
    I got two old Ford plow trucks I know all about wire rot and poor connections. All else fails get a new set of lights if you can't get a wire harness for the old ones.

7. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Senior Member

Thanks so much everyone!!!

I will be going out in the garage in the a.m. to basically remove everything and start over fresh with a set of crimpers.rolls of wire and terminals with some guidance of a wiring schematic.Thanks all so much for the input i just hope some mechanical questions arise---no ones misfortune of course----that i may be of assistance.Then again i do work for a local cable--soon to be a telephone over internet company that i can share if needed.Thanks Again i really appreciate it!!!

8. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

your motor may be bad. i had slow action once and they replaced that, it cured it.