1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well guys whats it worth

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DellDoug, Oct 16, 2009.

1. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Salt included. Sidewalks included. pile on the west (left side) at the end of the lot. Curious as I think I might be crazy after the Lowes thread. I have plowed this lot for 20 years.

oakville.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

did you take that air shot from your private jet?

thats a lot of pizza coupons :laughing:

so you have been plowing for 20 years.... thats something to be proud of I commend you on that. I have had a computer store for almost 12 years, and I think of the stuff back from day 1 and wow things have changed. :drinkup:

3. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

LOL...No I am sorry its Google Earth. Private Jet? Sorry just economy discount flights for this Canuck!! I have actually been in the snow clearing business since 1970. Technology and prices always change. It is a fast paced world even in snow plowing. Wanna send me some of those pizza coupons? Free dinner sounds good.

Any thoughts on what that job is worth?

4. MIDTOWNPC

honestly its very hard for me to even see how many parking spots there are.

google earth should give you a better pic then that.

did you try the print screen and then paste into paint?
    cause it kinda looks like you printed it and then highlighted it and scanned it.

5. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

The total area of parking is about 6 acres. High end spec(same as a shopping mall) plus the roadways and entrances. The key is the piling has to be on the lower left of the diagram...every flake! They use every available parking space on weekdays.

And your right I did mess around and scan it and stuff. Now that I am home I will try and take a better run at here in a little bit.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The pic is really bad and I've only plowed for 18 years and my dad has plowed commercially since the late 60's. I'm guessing around 70k. Am I even close?

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ya it should be up there somewhere near your estimate JD , be a lot less if the snow didnt have to travel so far. Up here it would go for around 50 or 60 K

8. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Yep you guys are in the neighborhood of what maket is. Thanks for answering. After discussing the $17, 500 Lowes store (salt and ice melter included) that I thought was worth a whole lot more I wanted to see if I was crazy or Plowsite was crazy? Thank you for restoring my mind and proving to me that there all still sane contractors in the world. tymusic

9. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

I think your father and I share a mutual friend in Marshall Townsend?

10. MIDTOWNPC

this is way out of my league but ill stab at a few things first.

4400 lbs of salt 30 salt events? I dont know how rates discount on this size of a lot... I would think you would get $350 a ton spread? so $21 000
    small tractor on sidewalks, 2 men shoveling blowers and salting walks
    2 tractors or loaders with 12 ft boxes, 2 trucks. 3 hours because of where the snow has to end up. that looks like 1 long push for the loader to the end pile.

25 pushes?

I would come up with $2145 per push...
    $53 625 for plowing and $21 000 for salt. sounds to me like the salt is cheap usually everything I have ever prices the salt is almost the same as the plowing, but in this case because of the time involved to move the snow to the destination single pile I think its justified.

I have never bid on anything over 2 acres.

11. MIDTOWNPC

k i just crunched numbers for like 45 mins with my dog chewing a bone, posted and refreshed the page to find dave here answers the double jepordy and gets the contract and i didnt even get to take the guy out for lunch yet. guess thats what its like in the real world... early bird gets the worm

12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You would be correct. Your a very nice addition to the site, you are very well spoken. I'm not so sure about market price anymore, it seems there are alot of people around now that like to do stuff extremely cheap and not offer proper service.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So you're coming in around $11G an acre. The Lowes job is $9G an acre (if it's only 80K). And I'm guessing you would have more events per season.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Total area for a Lowes is more then 2 acres. Around back is close to that size and untill I see it on Google Earth or someone tells me they measured it I will not beleive it.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's why I said if........

16. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Well thank you. I am enjoying plowsite and learning other peoples opinions. It can be enlightening. The key is to find the customers that have to have the service at a high level. They will pay what the job is worth. But you already know that. :nod:

Some guys though just don't look at the complexity of a job. Size is a factor but demands and obsticals = time...time = money. Add the greater demand of a retail location (due to liability) IMHO is worth quite a bit more then 9K/acre (full of poles islands and other hazzards, customer service calls, etc....) here in Toronto.JMHO

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  17. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

For an open parking lot with no islands, shopping carts, or people in it after hours. I guess I am somewhere in that range. I don't know on events...I would be between 40-45 events. But looking at the Google pics from the the oher thread it sure looks a whole lot bigger then 2 acres to me. I never scene a Lowes lot that small. ever! :eek:

18. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

That is a very interesting way to calculate the price. I have never looked at it in that respect. Thanks for the insight. Your a bit high but not by a whole lot. Thanks Doug

19. MIDTOWNPC

2 - loaders at $175 / hour
    2 - trucks at $100 / hour
    1 - small tractor $85 / hour
    2 - sidewalk guys $45 / hour

my teacher use to say show your work.... so thats how I got there.

If the snow didnt have to go in that pile I would think you could drop a loader or
    drop both trucks and have a skid.

is their anything wrong with pricing it this way? the salt discount on large volume I am curious on.

20. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Lets just say that after many years of working out the details we do the whole place in 6 hours with one loader and three attatchments. Salt discounts are incorporated through volume to various local locations for reduced trucking rates and labour costs as well as pre-buy for the season prices (we pre-buy about 6000 tonnes). What is amazing is how close you got the proper number. As far as one machine goes remember our discussion about technology? Its an amazing thing.....Remember you always have to make money or its not worth doing! Innovation is your best friend.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009