1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well Guys & Girls?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RCIPlow, Mar 11, 2002.

1. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

"Now, the time is near, the end has come, the choice is clear......" or something like that. Well what can I say that hasn't already been said. Winter really never developed here in South Jersey. Had 1 little storm, less then 4 inches. Put away all the equipment today, and have been doing lots of remodeling worh through the winter, I survived this year, but not sure about some of you. Not sure about next year, will have to ponder that a bit. Hope you all are doing well, and hope you have a better spring. As for me, I am waiting for the birth of my 2nd daughter in the next few weeks, so I have lots to look forward to. Hope you all enjoyed this winter, and for us here in South Jersey as far as winter goes "Fogat About Ittt".
    Regards,
    Tim McGonigal
    RCI
    Atco, NJ

p.s. anyone need some very big lawn decorations?????

2. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I heard on the news this morning some interesting info. This is the anniversary of the "blizzard of 1888", when the east coast was slammed with one of the worst events in history. Over 70 inches of snow, and winds in excess of 100 mph. I forget the number, but a bunch of people died. There was no vehicle traffic on the roads for years!:D

So dont put everything away yet!!

As for us, my area just passed 100 inches for the season, only the 5th time in history that has happened , and the first time since the 50's. We are currently at #3 for all time snowiest.

101.5 inches !!!!!

Bring it on- we havent put our plows away !:cool:

3. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I didn't get to plow that one either.... :mad:

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

LOL Digger!

Congrats to Pine Island for having winter this year.

Congrats & good luck to RCI for the upcoming addition to the family.

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Figures are in

Well the figures are in... NE OHIO 6th warmest winter in history (from late 1800s till now). Income is down 66%. Break down are very low also LOL. This will take the new snow removal companys out of business and also bankrupt some of the non stable ones also.

Begining of winter salt company called said get all the salt you can now as they dont have enough to give us this winter and we are raising the price 25% percent and we wont guarantee delivery once the winter starts. Well the salt company has a glutt of salt, the place I buy salt has 33,000 tons + of salt under tarp and no one to purchase it.

Will try again next yr. good year to upgrade the backhoe loader.

Dave

6. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I figure if I removed my sander and replaced it with a big water tank and a generator and invested in this I could drive around late at night when noone was looking and make enough snow to still make some money plowing this year.

www.backyardblizzard.com/:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2002
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

This is the first time I've ever heard the general public say "We need some snow", that was the buzz around town this winter. I was set to put the equipment away Sunday, then that Artic Blast that GotGrass mentioned hit us. Temps dropped to the teens and there actually was snow forcast (didn't happen). I'll keep my equipment at the ready until April, that's what my contract's for, but I'm not so optimistic anymore. One plus is the mud is almost gone and work can start early.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, it started snowing about 6:45. Left for work with the wife about 7:15. There was about 1/2". Not enough to plow and it was going to melt. Just enough to pack down on the highway, making it slick. Half way to work, popped over a hill and cars were stopped in the travel lane and the shoulder - no where to go and couldn't get stopped. Spun sideways and hit a car with the left rear quarter panel and door of the wife's new car. All together it was a six car pile up. Spent the rest of the day dealing with the insurance company and tow truck. Thankfully, nobody was hurt. One woman was checked out for a sore back. Like we all said - Cars can be repaired and replaced, we were lucky everybody walked or drove away. Then I took the 1/2T Dodge to fix the tailpipe and get new ball joints so she could drive it and found a fuel line leak. Fuel line is now on back order. If it isn't one thing, it's twenty others...:(

9. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Here in South Jersey/Philly region, it is the driest Winter in recorded history.......Went to the church we plow to remove my reflectors/markers for curbs/sprinklers, etc. They were all gone but 1, not sure where they are, will call them Friday. Being as it is a church, guess they knew something I didn't, until now anyway...LOL.
    Regards,
    Tim McGonigal
    RCI
    Atco, NJ

10. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Boston also had it's driest winter in recorded history (132 years worth) and it also had the warmest in history. Official snowfall totals are 13.4 (normal is 41") but in reality it was about 11" but that doesn't really matter at this point :rolleyes:.

11. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Ha RCI
    I agree your probably right about putting the plows away! But I still think it's to early to do so. I always wait to at least April 1st.
    In Ma. we got one storm (about 5 in.). But I've been lucky my remolding bussiness is doing good! Good Luck with new addition.

THINK SPRING!!!

12. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

ahhhh yes, the winter of 1888, i remember it well. i was plowing with my brand new 1887 F-350 bread truck with a 6'10" coca-cola snow plow. there had to be at least 63.12874" of snow on the ground, maybe more. visibility was down to 1-2 inches at most. since there was no paving back than everyone ran their shoes, you young bucks dont even know what snow plow shoes are do you? well i hate to bore you anymore but its time to hit the hay, gotta milk the chickens and feed the cows, or something like that?

13. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

chicago

I pretty sure this winter is going to be a flop there has been to snowfalls in 04 2.5 in warmed up to 49deg 6 hours later, and a .5 dusting that we through salt att on christmass day, the new dump i bought has moved once since i bought it.. were screwed.. :mad:

14. MsQueen

MsQueen Member

Global Warming Baby...

We can chalk it up to our ozone layer disappearing as we type.

Winters will continue to get warmer and our plows dusty!

Happy New Year!

15. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

time to put this tread to bed don't you think it was started in 02 :eek: :waving: