1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

well brine/ home made brine?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Team_Arctic, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I played around with liquid last year some. This year I am going forward with adding tanks on all the salt trucks to wet the salt. My plan is next year to be up and going with a full spray service available.

I have a brine maker built. I have up to 20,000 gallons of storage.

That being said I am going to ask dumb questions.

What is well brine that i see talked about on here and what is the difference between well brine and what i can make in my system with salt or calcium?
  2. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

BrinenFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Brine is a solution of salt (usually sodium chloride) in water. In different contexts, brine may refer to salt solutions ranging from about 3.5% (a typical concentration of seawater, or the lower end of solutions used for brining foods) up to about 26% (a typical saturated solution, depending on temperature).

Brine also refers to naturally occurring salt water. The contents of dissolved solids in groundwater vary highly from one location to another on earth, both in terms of specific constituents (e.g. halite, anhydrite, carbonates, gypsum, fluoride-salts, and sulfate-salts) and regarding the concentration level. Using one of several classification of groundwater based on Total Dissolved Solids, brine is water containing more than 100,000 mg/L TDS.

Michigan has a bunch of wells, not all are the same, diffrent saturation levels and chemical make up. There is alot of good infor here.

2 good threads
  3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Elite answered completely. Now, we need you to post pics of your brinemaker set up.
  4. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

ill get some shortly wife broke my camera and says im not suppose to get a new one until after x-mas.. it is similar to the twin engine design of yours I have a 1,000 upper tank and a 1500 lower tank . I have the top of the upper tank removed and edged with angle iron for rigidity. I have a piece of 3 inch pvc run the whole length of the bottom of the tank that has holes in it to create disturbance rather then the fittings comming through the bottom. I have a 4500 tank right next to it with my fresh water supply(when its warm enough or im making) to speed up the process. once mixed it gets pumped into one of 2 2,000 cone bottom tanks. let it settle take the first shot of liquid out and put back into the mixer( has any solids in it). I can leave it sit there or I have 2 2500 vertical tanks and a 15000 gallon tank we got from an old truck stop that went out. Its a steel tank but we use if for storing urea in the summer months for the farm. Ill get pictures when I get my camera from santa.