1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Well at least I finished

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by martyman, Jan 20, 2009.

1. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I was on my second round of 45 homes, had around 10 homes left and my steering went wonky...when I would back up it would fish tail and made a wavy pattern when I back dragged...got home next day check it out and I damaged my front track bar and my plow mount is damaged also. Its 6:30 am...woke up at 4 am and put the new $300 track bar on and need to go to Metal supermarket to get a new piece of angle iron. One of my customers has a company that makes giant feed screws he's going to fix my mount for free :) I have a hang over also....I've only had two customers call after the big storm and they will have to wait. I'm very seriously considering giving up plowing after this year or unless someone has a magic ball that will tell me next year will be a mild one.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's just the booze talking, you'll be back next yr.

3. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I wouldn't kick Giada De Laurentiis if she ate crackers in my bed...I dunno about being back next year unless I do some major work to my vehicle, I really thought I was well prepared this year.

4. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

"I wouldn't kick Giada De Laurentiis if she ate crackers in my bed"

When I first read the title of this thread, that is what I thought it was about. FINISHING!! LOL

Get back on that horse and ride, ride again. You'll be back.

5. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Well Martyman as you well know by now plowing is not going to make you rich. For me plowing makes winter not so boring. It gives me a reason to look forward to snow like I was a kid again. It helps put a couple bucks in my pocket. But most importantly for me it gives me an opportunity to be outside experiencing some of what nature has to offer. Yes there are the butt head drivers that get in the way and the broken equipment but it seems by the next year I don't remember that stuff. What I do remember is the looks and waves from people after you plow them out. I can understand about getting down when things are down and wanting to call it quits. Just some things for you to think about.

6. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Momma nature is tough to work for/ get used to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Let me guess

You have a Dodge?

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

YEP i only party when the snow is all done

9. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I was finished when I had my party...next day was repair day I was paying for it...and yes it's a dodge ;)

10. I hear ya Marty. My blade is sitting in my driveway off the truck and the truck is going into DPI tomorrow for repairs.

When life gets tough, call me, we'll go drink some beers... lol

11. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

How about blowing your motor mid storm, limping back to the shop. Pulling a good motor out of a junker, pulling the blown motor, dropping the good one in, and going out to finish all the driveways the day after the storm is over. Plus calling all your customers telling them what happened!!! Years ago when I was first starting out but been there done that, got the T shirt!

12. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Look on the bright side, at least you've got the customer willing to help you. I try to remember that it could always be worse.

13. Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday Member

It better make me rich or i wont do it.30+ years i dont need a wave but i do need more than a couple bucks in my pocket. Make sure you get paid well and keep and extra truck that can be put into service quick. Its better to leave the broken truck and get into a diff one. If you bust up 2 or 3 trucks....yeeks........

14. Lencodude

Lencodude Senior Member

I hear you Martyman I had two trucks break down in the same storm, last year. Lucky I have 3 trucks to do my run. Last snowfall ( sun- mon ) my heater stop working and my 4 wd stop working and blew about Twenty 20 amp fuses, I was freezing and frustrated for three hours till 5 am and stop for gas and found the short in my engine compartment at the gas station at -19 C. Put the new fuse everything worked and finish plowing. It is not a glamorous job, but I still enjoy it after 21 years and alot of headaches.

15. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Ya snow removal is full of surprises. At times it seems it doesnt matter whether you got new or old stuff to work with. It makes you greatfull for the storms when the work is done equipment is back in the shop and no BS repairs.................for now:cool: