1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

welds cracking on new plow 8611

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by scoops, Jan 7, 2010.

1. scoops

scoops Junior Member

I have some welds cracking on new plow, its looks like jib for welding wasnt lined up right and 90% of weld was only on one side when welding the two together, its going to look like crap by the end of season because I can already see rust forming behind weld
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Old or new style?
  3. scoops

scoops Junior Member

Its the new style, noticed rust forming after the first time I used it this year.
    Plow gets washed and inspected after each use, Its kept in a heated shop, I made a stand that it sits on that I can roll it around and tuck it out of the way, this also lets me get a good look at, its going to be more of a cosmetic isue than anything, I have told dealer about it.
  4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have heard nothing but good about the welds on the older style, but I have seen the new style and they don't look as beefy. Make a big deal out of it and have them reinforce parts that may not even need it.
  5. scoops

scoops Junior Member

If you grind weld out and reweld you will never get the same finish, I have looked at some of the other welds on this plow and there are a lot of them that stoped and restarted in the middle of the weld. doesnt look the best.
  6. whillysfreak

whillysfreak Junior Member

Had that on mine talk to your dealer I got a new plow Found out that they had a bunch of plows at one point go out with bad weld uneven.
  7. h8to wrk

h8to wrk Member

in welding that is a often used practice. When the material is thin they do what is called a stitch weld to reduce warpage in the heat zone. Still no excuse for cracking welds but that technique sounds right.
  8. K. Meyer

K. Meyer Junior Member

I've got an 8611lp and just today fixed 2 cracks in the a frame where they were welded to the square tube that houses the lift ram. They cracked along the original weld. Also had a wing -ram leaking because of a pinhole in the weld connecting the tube to the end of the cylinder. Shouldn't happen but still love these plows.
  9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Sounds like a DD product to me:rolleyes:
  10. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Typical DD robotic welding issues, been going on for years. Welds look good but no penetration.
  11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

My Ultra mount had the same problems, but at least it had a chain :drinkup:
    The pre dd blizzards I now own do not seem to have these sort of quality issues.
    But then again I am totally ******, because the plow lights stay on the trucks...
  12. beam

beam Senior Member
    from pa

does any body have pics of this problem
  13. MBB

MBB Senior Member

Do not know if there are pics but do a search on the western / fisher about weld issues a bunch info should come up.