1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

welding vs. riveting frame cross members

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by reallyrusty, Sep 3, 2003.

1. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

I have a need to replace some rear cross-members on my 74 K20.
    I thought about cutting out the factory ones (Rotted) and welding in some homemade ones. I then started to think about what would happen when the frame twists. Would welded members be overstressed in a twist? I'm looking for opinions.

2. razz

razz Junior Member

welding the frame

Properly done, welding is perfectly suitable for your situation. If you are going for a restoration, I would stick with the way the factory did it. Factory rivetting is not going to be easy without the proper tools/equipment. Good luck

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I wouldn't recommend welding on framerails,as it can change the structural properties of the metal,and weaken it.

If your just replacing crossmembers,cut out the rivets,and replace them with grade 8 bolts.Fast,strong and easy.

4. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

While i would normally never disagree with you Chris,I've installed numerous dump bodies and lets just say they aren't riveted on;)
    Technically yes,heat changes the property of steel,not enough to matter in this situation though.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

I know you,or any experienced welder with the right equipment can do it,but I wouldn't recommend it for the average person.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Rusty, I work in a shop and do frame repirs and equipment installs, the only time welding is acceptable is if you are behind the rear spring hangers otherwise everything should be gr8 bolts with a locking nut. hope this helps

7. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

Thanks to all
    ----Rusty

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with wyldman,do not weld to the frame.The risk is to high for problems. It is common for the frame to break right outside the area where it was welded.Like Chris said,the metal is weakened in that area if proper steps arent taken during the welding process.