1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Welding Tip/Trick

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by TJS, Nov 9, 2008.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am building my own head-ache rack and wanted to make the strobe mount plate removeable with a little added security. I welded 3/8 nuts in the top of the rack where the plate will be bolted to it. To get them as square as possible for welding I used a long 3/8 bolt and a 1-2-3 block with the nut to be welded tightened up against it. See pics. This allows the nut to sit flush and pretty close to square in the hole. The welds are not that great cause I was kind of contorted when doing this. I was sitting on a crate with the foot pedal kind of out of position. I really did not care about how the welds look cause they will be ground anyway.
    T.J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You can see the plate here. I drilled and tapped at all 4 corners where the light is bolted down from the inside.

T.J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

Thats awesome looks nice. But since i am lazy i use self tapping screws

4. bharry20

bharry20 Senior Member

them welds look just fine and after you got done grinding it looked as if the rack was just drilled and tapped. yet this way there is more threads in the rack than that method. it is amazing what can be done with stuff like that. i can't remember how many times i have made stuff like that.:nod:

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

You did a real nice job. coverin up the nuts it looks like it came like that

6. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

looks factory to me...
    great work, can we see the rest of the build?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  7. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

looks good .. im glad i built mine when i did ... i hate to spend money on the prices of steel in todays market ....

8. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

I'm impressed TIG welding a headache rack instead of jist MIGing it!

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

looks awesome cant wait to see the finished product ! they would probably sell !

10. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

What is a 1-2-3 block?

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

12. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Everything else on the headache rack is Miged. I just used the tig machine for this operation.
    T.J.