1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Welding Rod Storage

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Jan 7, 2010.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just curious where you guys store your rods. I'm an occasional / part time welder. I use 6011 and 6013 mostly. I only buy them 5 pounds at a time, but I've lost a few rods over the year.

I have been told to keep them in the fridge.....
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

you can use a old microwave too. i just keep mine in the plastic tubes but i use them up ever few months so the dont sit much.
    you could switch to a mig and not have to worry :jester:
  3. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I keep them in the fridge , have for years , although I really don't do much with the stick welder anymore .

I have a plethora of rods on the top shelf in the garage fridge , they are always good when I need 'em though so it must be good .

4. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

in a fridge with the light on.
  5. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Dosen't the light go out when you shut the door .........Or does it ??

6. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

thats why you gota open it real fast to find out!
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey, are you guys cracking jokes on my thread here? It's not like I ever do tha.........

Ah, never mind. Have fun.

8. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

My low hydrogen rods, 7018, 10018,... stay in my rod oven, otherwise all the others 6010,6013,6011,7014,7024..... get left on the shelf. The best thing to do is keep them in an oven, but that is expensive, just try to find the dryest place possible to keep them, maybe a closet in the house???

BTW, you are no better off with mig wire, if your mig wire gets wet, it will rust and then it is no good anymore unless you like welding with rusty wire, best thing to do is keep everything dry!
  9. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

they make plastic containers with rubber ringed lids just for this. I keep two of these in my truck. one has 6010, one has 7018. they stay dry and protected which is good since they are bouncing around in the toolbox. I get them from the local weld shop for less than 10.00 each.
  10. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

the container sounds like it should work. But couldn't you make your own oven. It doesn't need to be hot just dry. A light bulb in a box should be enough to keep then dry.
  11. RSR_NH

RSR_NH Member

You said the word.

Low hydrogen rods need to stay dry (as mentioned above)... hang a light bulb in an airtight space (we use an old fashion fridge) and viola, homemade rod oven.

I'm a welder by trade and this has never failed to keep them dry.