1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weld or replace?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dcwn.45, Feb 5, 2011.

1. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

I broke the A frame on my unimount just on the truck side of the pivot pin. It was broken by the previous owner and I welded it up with a gusset plate but I got a little too forceful with a drift and I think I tagged the frozen bank one too many times.
    I can press it back into place and weld it, but I will be halfway into the work required to just replace the A frame
    Anyone done this?

2. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

i did on a fisher plow at work about 4 years ago and its still holding strong. just welded it and then plated over the weld.

3. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

We weld them quite often, and they last much better than new if you add some extra material in the correct places. Once you find out the price of a new A frame, you'll be better off just dropping off the quad & A at a local welding shop & let them do their thing.

4. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

Thanks for the quick replies!
    I am leaning to the weld option

5. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I'm welding my in the shop as we speak. A frames are pricey.

6. cotter

cotter Senior Member
    from Ohio

Weld it then order a new one.
    The BEST way to ensure that your weld holds forever. :D
    Chad