1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weld Old Cutting Edges Over New??

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by northernsweeper, Jan 7, 2010.

1. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

Just curious, does anyone weld their old cutting edges or wing edges onto new edges? My Blizzard 8611LP has thinner gauge edges and seems to go thru them at a faster rate. It seems doubling them up could save some money..
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Think some guys do this, I recall seeing pictures within the last month. Try seaching for Carbide Blizzard and see what you get.

We had to replace a wing edge and we had to grind over an inch off the new blade to line it up. They are way to pricey, so I didn't want to replace all of them.
  3. Rickslawn

Rickslawn Junior Member
    from midwest

used to weld new steel on the wings of the blizzards. they are very costly to replace
  4. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I do on two of our old artic rear plows, Orginal edges are welded on so I got no choice but to weld new to old.
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

you can double up the last 12" or so and it will help slow down the wear. I just did this on my v plow.
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I went to my local welding/fab shop and had them make me a cutting edge of 1/2 inch instead of 3/8 steel for my blizzard. All they needed is to measure the holes of the old one and they were able to make me a heavy duty edge. I would suspect they could do the same for wings but i only have a 680. Beware though, on my 680 i had the angle iron that the cutting edge bolts to start to bust off, i had to have the cutting edge reinforced and the mold board welded back together after a few times out with the new cutting edge
  7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Just be careful if you have an edge "made", that it is still hardened steel. The town trucks use old cutting edges to rebuild the street skids.
  8. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

The edges are spendy, around here 575.00 for the set. They did what they could to lighten up the 8611LP, I wonder if doubling it up would be to much stress for the moldboard. Great plow, opened up to 11' it takes a nice swipe.