1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weld in center catcher on V

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by APLC, Nov 30, 2011.

1. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Anyone ever made some weld in pieces for old style cutting edges (RT3) To make them like the new style. Basically a HOOF REMOVAL? Because new style edges are crazy pricey but I can weld and fabricate something up.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure. Just takes a couple triangle shaped pieces cut out of plate stock. They don't need to be the same thickness as the edges though, 3/8" is plenty and to be most effective they need a small notch for the bottom of the center hinge so they're tucked up nicely and you're good to go. It's an easy way to save allot of coin on formed edges. Simply run the old style edges and add the extra pieces in.

Boss actually sold them at one time. Not certain they still do though as the crazy cost for all they were prevented them from being a big seller.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Yes made one takes to long to make on bending the steel the 2nd set wasnt no faster
    I even made set for the MVP like said to much time I use a 1/2'' thick rubber easyer and cheaper
    I run the MVP plow and 98% time I'm in scoop mode and my boss is in scoop more being straight So I set the steel as close I can So I dont have no lost of snow in the center

4. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Thanks B&B you have any pics so I got an idea think this hoof has to go like everyone eles said LOL stupid thing

5. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Anyone any pics of something like this

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Had a couple pics from the first one we ever did years ago but losing an external hard drive a while back I lost many pics also. Nothing complicated to make though so perhaps a drawing will help. Simply start with a cardboard template and trim from there. I do recommend removing the edges to weld on the backside as well once they're tacked in place on the front side. If you weld on the front side only they tend to get out of shape after some use.

[​IMG]

7. APLC

APLC Senior Member

thanks B&B, so the **L** part is the notched part you were talking about? the pick you showed the L part will be tward the center pin? just want to make sure i get this right thanks again buddy ussmileyflag

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct, and the notch is so it will fit under the center hinge plate and hinge pin on the bottom of the center section. You need the end of the filler plates directly under that point so it will keep the gap (or now lack of) consistent as the wings pivot on the hinge.

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I had that problem last year and thought about doing this to my plow, this year I picked up a new lot to plow (gravel) so I put my center shoe back in so I don't dig in to the gravel, now when I plow I don't have that snow tail from the plow , who knew that would happen !

10. APLC

APLC Senior Member

well i will be fabricating something up this weekend to fix this problem:mechanic: because new edges are crazy expensive and the HOOF sucks balls, so like other great AMERICANS ussmileyflag I'm going to make it myself :nod:

11. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Best of luck to you, and don't forget to show us some pics !

12. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Man this is hard trying to get the two pieces just right where they dont conflict with each other tried a few other ways and cant get this to work :mad:

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It isn't rocket science but you do need the ends of the add on pieces directly under the hinge or they won't pivot on center correctly.

14. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Ok ok yeah my drivers side is tweaked a bit but I will be back on it again tomorrow, seems like even with the new style there is still a gap a bit.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes you don't need them tight together so don't get too fussy with it. Up to about a 3/16" gap isn't too much and still won't allow anything to sneak through. Thumbs Up

16. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Ok sweet well I'll be working on it again tomorrow

17. AE1

AE1 Junior Member
    from Ohio

...following this thread. Have you any luck? And any pictures?

18. MadeintheShade

MadeintheShade Member

did you ever find pics or have any luck?? I'm replacing my edges tomorrow and would prefer to not spend $90 on a piece of plastic?

19. mricefish

mricefish Member

I also need to try to fix this prob. on my own too, thanks for the ideas

20. APLC

APLC Senior Member

Well my wing is curled a bit and still having a little trouble making the gap smaller when in straight mode