1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weld Diesel fuel tank????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Nov 23, 2007.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Just priced out a new tank and sending unit for my 3500hd and fell over. Over 500.00 for t he pair. The tank has been dripping for the last month and getting worse. The top of the tank is in nice shape although the sending unit seems allitle soft. So here is my thinking, drop the tank and see how bad it is. If the area is small like where a strap sits, weld it up using the torches. What do you think??

DAFF

2. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

Even though its diesel there is still a chace of fire.

I have had some luck in the past useing JB weld,clean the surface,rough it up a bit ,apply and then sit for 24 hours.

Trying to braze it with the torch may just burn more holes if the tank has alot of rust and is getting thin.

How much was the new tank?

3. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

reread the post $500 for the pair

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Put dry-ice in the tank. The dry-ice (co2) will displace the air in the tank and then it will be safe to weld.

5. elshauno

elshauno Member

I just looked up a fuel tank on rockauto.com for a 1999 didn't know your year of truck and the most expensive one was 159 plus shipping. At worst that would be like 150 so 310 thats not bad at all and it beats rigging it for now

6. stangman35

stangman35 Senior Member

He's in Canada so it's prolly twice as muchpayup

7. elshauno

elshauno Member

they have a shipping calculator it there might still be worth investigating just for fun

8. big bird

big bird Senior Member

put dawn soap in it then use a power washer with hot water for a couple hrs than good to go weld it up i do it all day long i work for a weld shop in buffalo NY or just buy a new one

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have welded tanks before and have found that it's not long before it starts leaking somewhere else after the first fix. I have never personally done it, but our welder did it in our shop. He put a hose off the exhaust of our gas pickup into the tank and then he welded it. He has also welded gas tanks this way, so he said. Buy 1 new tank or are both leaking.

10. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Ok so I have thought about it, I hate to patch things up be to spend excessive coin on a tank is crazzy. Perhaps I can find a tank and make it fit. What about a tank from a reffer, or something else. Maybe I should just spend the money and get it over. Knowing my luck I'd pull the tank only to find it is swiss cheese at the bottom.

The more I think about it a Generic tank is sounding good. I can run the equipment from that tank and be able to wash for weeks without having to fill up. For the power washer on the mini water truck is diesel too. I'm sure making the fuel guage work shouldn't be too hard. Plus the truck has a flat deck

Thanks for all your input

DAFF

11. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Take the straps loose on the tank and you will find / cause more leaks.

12. DAFFMOBILEWASH

quick fix

Tried an experiment on the tank. Was talking to a guy who hauls scrap for a living in a rusted out Chev pick up. He had a gas leak which he repaired last year with a sheet of paper and some Stop Leak glue (fuel and oil resistant). He said drop the tank and give it a try. After removing the plastic shild and droping the tank the bottom looked pritty bad. Tried this quick fix anyways.

Clean the area off and determine the leaky section. Using a wire wheel clean off the section super good untill the steel is clean and free of debris. Spray with brake clean. Apply the goop all over the area of the leak. Apply a generous amount to a sheet of paper and spread out evenly. The sheet of paper should be about the same size a the patch area on the tank. Let the glue set up for 2-3 min and apply the paper over the area on the tank. Let this set up for 20 min and appy another coat over the outside of the paper to seal it. Paint the entire area with a left over spray bomb. Re install.

Been a couple of days and all is good no leak!! Yes in time I know the tank will have to come out and repaired properly. But at this time we are inbetween seasons and it might never snow. Just trying to save a little cash, much rather spand the extra 500.00 for the tank and sending unit on the kids for Christmas!!!

If you want to cheat give this method a try.

DAFF

13. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Keep us posted on how long this repair holds for. Sounds crazy enough to work for a year or so :dizzy:

14. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

to weld or not to weld

i would not try to weld it unless your real good at thin Gage welding ,my old man has had very good luck cleaning them up real good and using a large soldering iron ( one that you have to use a blow torch on ) use some tins titer solder prep on the joint after you clean the steel ,then go to town . of course my old man is from a different era (he used to solder car body joints ) they did not have bondo, and you fixed it not replaced it because it was easer .

15. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Yes somtimes I think of the impact of the throw away society of today. For example the average cell phone has a life span of the max 5 years. Thats if we don't break it!! Back in the days of the rotary phones how long would one keep a phone. As technology gets better the life span of electronic device decreases. Just think of each phone eventually goes to the dump, multifly over time and population. Man that number is scarry!!!! Talking about crazy numbers what about AA batteries in the dump. Now if I could just think of something to do with these and make a .0001cent profit on each on I'd be rich.:D

Man I need some snow my brain is going overdrive!!!:help:

DAFF

16. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

Patience Grasshopper, patience