1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weird sound, while plowing, U-joint??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by wls, Dec 12, 2010.

1. wls

wls Senior Member

When plowing, usually under a strain, or changing direction, theres a sound that comes from, to me sounds like the passenger side front u-joint, sounds like its next to breaking a shaft. But a couple time, it snapped so loud, that tha transfer case, went into nuetral, I thought it finally bit the bullet, but relized the lever was in nuetral. Does it quite abit, like when stacking snow, (I'm not really pushing hard into the pile) and then go to back up, maybe the tires will spin, just a tad, it will make the snap/axle shaft breaking noise. I thought for sure it was the right front joint, until the transfer case did the neutral thing. How are the front axles engaged, air or electric, what are the lines that go to the front ends, out by the u-joints, could that be maybe slipping and then catching? Thanks

94 dodge 2500, CTD, 5sp manuel
  2. EKennett

EKennett Junior Member

You have the CAD in the front axle. Sounds like your transfer case is slipping out of gear while you are running. Your left front tire is always spinning the front axle, the CAD disconnects the right front wheel from the axle so you can turn without axle binding. When you engage 4wd on the transfer case there is a vacuum actuator that shifts a fork in the front axle at the CAD engaging the right front wheel and locking it together with the left giving you true part time four wheel drive.

With the noise you describe and the fact that your transfer case is ending up in neutral, it sounds like something is slipping in there. Those trucks have a shift on the fly shifting system. When you engage 4wd you should be moving with your foot off the gas when you shift in to 4wd. Make sure you are fully engaging 4wd when you do this.

Check the second post in this link:

3. wls

wls Senior Member

The transfercase, does'nt always go's into nuetral, But I did take the CAD apart to look at the inside of it, did'nt look that bad, but sounded like it came from the front end. Took it to a mechanic, had him ride with me, while I push some snow, got it to do it a couple times, he said it sounded like the chain was slipping, so I ordered some parts to redo the transfer chain. Heres a couple cell phone pics, does'nt look all chewed up. I may do the mechanical lock in setup

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Pull the transfer case and install and brand new used one. I think you should be able to find a good used one for $200-500+install. Much faster and cost effective in the long run. Plus the gears on your look like they are toast, look like they were riding on the edge... While you have it out check the front drive line for any worn universals and replace the fluids in the pigs.