1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weird situation....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chief Plow, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

The other day I was plowing out my commercial accounts. We take care of 12 quick mart type places. 7 of them are one chain 5 are another chain. We will call them x, and y. The manitenace manager of chain x tells me he is not happy that he saw my trucks cleaning up chain y. ( These two chains are very competative. ) And he starts to say that he is not happy about this. I replied, we have 4 trucks going today. Everyone is cleaned out at virtually the same time. He continues that I should drop chain y. Here is my question, what the heck do I do about this. I have never run into this before. I can't believe how unprofessinal this guy was. Any thoughts here....let me know We have always provided excellent service to these places and they are accounts that I have had for about 4 seasons now.

Thanks
    Rick

2. bds landscaping

bds landscaping Junior Member

if he wants to give u a hard time then figure out whitch chain brings in more money for u if it is chain y then tell him u will service him first for more money
    just dont tell him how much first and keep everybody happy
    what he dosent know wont hurt him

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I think that guy is an idiot for requesting such a thing from you. Maybe he is insecure, haha. What the hell does it matter to him that you plow out the other quick marts?? That makes no sense at all. You are plowing snow, thats all. You go where the work takes you. If he keeps it up, drop HIM and not the other guy. Which place is the better payers? Mike

4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

If this guy is just a maintance guy, ignore him.
    Maybe talking to the owner of the chain to see if it's an issue or not.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

its not like it even matters. youre not giving one over the other a bad competitive edge. if they are both cleaned up at the same times anyway, they have an equal playing field. people will flock to the brand they like better since both brands are all cleaned up and easily accessible. ignore him for now, and drop him if he persists

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I sure hope you aren't working under cover and giving store X the prices on slurpees or chocolate bars to store Y!:D I'd be mad too!

7. Plow Dak

Plow Dak Member
    from Maine

Very easy fix.
    Just tell him you will plow only his lot as long as he compensates you for dropping the other. He pays what you would get for the other lot. When he says that's insaine then you quickly point out his request is just as... He has no business requesting that. Your job is to clear the lot for him to make money. As long as your work is professional he has no gripe. :nono:

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i would tell him very politely to get xxxxxx. i run my business an not you pal , an if there is a problem then tell the owner that i would like to discuss the issues with him. until then stay out of my way or i will plow your xxx!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2003
  9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Badboygeorge, just a friendly tip, Id edit your post a little before the people who run this site see it. Mike

10. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I agree, the guy is an idiot. He has no right to tell you who to plow for and who not to, especially when their both getting equal service. I would just ignore it for now, but if it becomes a big issue (I doubt it would) then I would drop them.

11. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Definitly:nono:

12. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I'd prolly just laugh at the guy and tell him "Hey, I'd plow Hitler's parking lot as long as his checks didn't bounce." Make him feel special and tell him you charge his accounts 10% less than you charge the other guy. :D Like he'd know.

And if that doesn't help him understand that it doesn't matter where you're plowing, you could always jump out of the truck and hit him upside the head with a shovel. :eek: :p Racketeering POS.

13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

take your name off 2 of the trucks that handle the other chain.then you won't have to worry about him b*******.
    or sub the other chain out to two guys.

14. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

I had a conversatioin with a fellow plow buddy last night, that does the local hospital. This is a rather large complex, that basically requires two guys at the hospital 24 hours a day. They do not care of the cost, just as long as the walks and parking lots are clean, whether there is 1/2 inch on snow or 12. The owner was having a problem with the maint. and security, complaining about some things, and they told him if he did not fix it, they would find someone else to do the job. He set up a meeting with the CEO, and worked everything out. Seems that people that can't make the decisions, are the ones that are complaining, and the CEO did not have any complaints, and acutally told him that he wanted to sign him up for a 3 year contract. Talk to the owner of the stores, and see what he says. I would not drop either one, but if the owner of one has a problem with you doing the other, drop him, because you don't want to work for someone like that.

John

15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yup, those were my thoughts exactly above. If you were to drop one, drop him, hes the one complaining, the other guy isnt complaining that you do this guys lot. Drop the complainer if anyone. Or just tell him you cant afford to drop anyone. Tell him its a good account the sameway he is, and tell him they pay well and you would hate to give them up. Mike

16. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Here is what you do. Go in and tell him that you noticed that he sold a Pepsi to another plow guy. Tell him that you don't think he should sell anything in his store to any other plow guys. See what he says.

17. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

Just tell him Business is Business you have to make a living to. Or tell him you will start his lot 10 minutes earlier. This situation sounds like he's the manager the kind like the macdonalds manager they think they own the joint.
    I had a manager the other day tell me i was doing stuff wrong and that i should learn how to do my job. (all this over not having the pavement bare 10 minutes after a storm that dropped a foot of snow. I handed him a shovel and said "how about you do it next time"
    As soon as our conversation was over with i called the owner of the building and told him about this situation and he paid me for lost time talking to this guy and also demoted the manager.
    So in conclusion to all of this just talk to the owner or district manager or something.

good luck

18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I agree with Plow Dak

19. drobson

drobson Senior Member

As with most, I feel his request is not valid. Ask him if he will purchase the same products as the other guy, such as Coca-Cola, Hostess, Hood, Etc... You provide a service and your not going to deny that service to anyone just because one of their competitors is also your client. Imagine if WalMart wouldn't carry Sony brand products because Sears also sells them...

20. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Weird situation???

That goes beyond weird. That's just stupid. He must think he's being loyal to the chain. I think I'd either just ask him to explain why he said that or just ignore him. Telling him he can't sell to any other plow guys is good, too.

The guy's a nutcase.