1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weird situation Need some advice please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by M.A.H., Aug 15, 2012.

1. M.A.H.

M.A.H. Junior Member

I received a call from another plower in my area, about filling in for him for about a month this winter. At first I thought great, but then he said he had someone else to plow the lots open for him (all commercial lots grocery store, churches, banks, and a few other places). He just wants me to salt and do the walkways, using his salt. All the properties are spread out a good distance but I can make them work in my route. I'm not to sure about this, I've never done half a job before and never used anyone else's material(salt). I don't even know how it will work or what to charge. If I get there first before it's plowed open, how can I salt? Which means I'll have to come back later and throw my own scheduled route out of whack. What if the snow is not cleared to my liking? Who would be responsible if someone falls or gets hurt, since there are 2 different companies there doing the job? I don't know if anyone else here does this, I just have a bad feeling about it. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Walk away, don't look back.

3. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I would walk. But if you decide to do it, just charge him by the hour. Drive time to and from lots is getting billed. I would have him sign a waiver regarding liability also. Also let him know that your lots come first and his lots get done when your "available". Otherwise it isn't even close to being worth it

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I disagree with the previous 2.

RUN away.

Way too many things wrong. This guy needs to get his act together and take care of his customers himself or get out of business.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Ask him if he will split his route ,both do the whole deal and not cross over.This way you'll/he will know who did what.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I would say listen to your own self...

7. David Aguila

David Aguila Junior Member

i need help at looking for a salt spreader for a ford f450 i am located in Virginia or it could be maryland the location of the item plz if you know anyone with one plz give me a call 703 565 7631 just people from virginia or maryland because i need it around my area thank you

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

you might have more better luck posting in the network forum those threads target specific areas people always look at activity that goes on around them salting forum might be another good spot best of luck

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I have a couple reconditioned SS Ice-O-Way gas drives that might work. Check out how far you are from zip 19707 and if you think it's close enough send me an email and I'll get your pictures and more info.

If you are looking for new, talk to Jim Corbett at ESI they're close to you.

10. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

. jim@esitrucks had some great deals on demo models. Look in the Equipment marketplace forum for his post.

11. M.A.H.

M.A.H. Junior Member

Thanks for the advise every one. I decided I just gonna tell him: Whichever lots he wants me to do I'll plow and salt and whichever lots the other company do they can plow and salt. I'm not going to do half a job. If he doesn't want to, then the other company can do all of it,,,I'm out of it then. The more I think about it I don't feel right about doing half a job on a lot.

Thanks for the advise.

12. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Sounds like the right call.

13. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I had the opposite last year. Company wanted me to plow and they would do walks and salt. I eventually said no after speaking with legal council. I couldn't rely on them to service the lot timely and effeciently and to keep checking would just cost time and money, so I passed on it

14. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Huh?

When you say "company", do you mean someone who is hiring you as a sub?

Or are you referring to the client?

15. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Really, ?

They're paying you to plow lots, and they are salting them, and clearing the walks ? Wouldn't that preclude you from the majority of the liability from the job, considering they're doing the finish work (de-icing) ????

When I first started plowing, my insurance company suggested that I "only plow", as when you de-ice, you're giving the indication that the area conditions are completely safe to walk & drive on, regardless of the "naturally occurring" snow re-coverings, icing conditions, and such. By just "plowing snow" you're allowing that "cleared area deicing" to be maintained by "others".

Were can I sign up ??? I'd take those jobs in a second., as that's the work I look for.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  16. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Sign up at Halchek corp they do a bunch of public transit lots in mass. For $50 hr you can roll the dice. You may be correct but lawyer laughed at terms and I laughed at rate. The lots don't get more risky than mbta with thousands rushing to work

17. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

walk away from the situation as fast as you can.

18. M.A.H.

M.A.H. Junior Member

All ready walked away, I told him all or nothing. He said he'd let me know. I don't plan on hearing from him, but if he calls it's more work for me. After last winter and this summer I could use the extra money.