1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weird problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by drivewaydoctor, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Had another weird problem with my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 last night. Driving on the highway the truck started to stutter. I pulled over and popped the hood and seen sparks coming off the wire that connects to the ignition coil.

Its going into the shop for a new computer tomorrow but now I'm starting to think the computer was never the problem.

Anyone ever see sparks coming off the ignition coil wire before?
  2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

sound bad spark plug wires. What last time you replace that?

Do it look like this color?

3. They were changed a couple of months ago before the plowing started...

Hmmm ok I'll go buy new wires then.
  4. Milwaukee

it still under warranty? you can get free replace one if it under warranty
  5. Probably is actually. I bought the plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor etc...

I pay next to nothing for these kinds of parts so its not a big deal. My buddy manages a large auto parts distribution warehouse. I get manager pricing...
  6. Milwaukee

but for me I buy bosch spark plug wires because it have lifetime warranty.

hope that is problem.
  7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Iwould make a heat shield to protect the wires from heating up from the exhaust manifold
  8. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

When you install the new wires, try to redirect the coil wire out and away from any metal, there is a TSB out on the wires and arching problems. I zip tied mine out and away from the manifolds, and haven't had any trouble yet. Hope this helps.