1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weird noise when plow is on, defroster is on, and turning the wheel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mdd, Feb 9, 2006.

1. mdd

mdd Member

all the way in one direction. i get a strange almost whistling sound from my dash.

if my defroster is off and/or i'm not making a turn i get no noise. any ideas?

2. amar

amar Member

I know you said form the dash but could it be your power steering pump? Some times when low on fluid they will wine when your wheel is turned all the way.

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I'll have to say it's a belt slipping, I assume it's serpentine belt, so when you get a heavy electrical load (defroster and plow) combined with a steering load (turning) the combination of strain of the alternator and power steering pump causes a belt that is otherwise tight enough to start slipping a little. You are just pushing it over the edge with all that going on at the same time. Even if by "when plow is on" you just mean on the truck, not switched on, the added weight on the front end could be enough to add the amount of stress to the steering pump that it exceeds the friction of the belt.

My advice would be to replace your serpentine belt if it hasn't been replaced in the last 3 years. If it's relatively new, then it might just need the tensioner adjusted.

-Jer

4. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I agree on the belt... my truck has 7500 miles and when it's cold the belt really squeals.

Please remember that the a/c may be running if the heating system in in the "defrost" or "defrost+legs" mode as the a/c runs to dry the air (to better clear fog on the inside of the windows in the cab), even in cold weather.

So, at startup, you may have several loads on the belt:

- a/c compressor

- alternator (trying to charge a cold battery or 2)

- the p/s pump

Please remember that if you have the hydro power brake system (on the 8100big block for sure and maybe others) which uses power steering fluid as the boosting means, then you really have a load on the belt.

Plus too and also, I seem to remember that sometimes GM runs one of the pulleys (in addition to the tensioner pulley) from THE BACK OF THE BELT rather that the multi-V portion that's intended for it to run pulleys. Let's face it, the back ain't gonna do too good of a job of running something, and it might squeal pretty bad too on the back.

Just my 2¢. Thanks for listening.

5. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Might it also be the CV joints. Especially if you only hear it when turning. I know you said it sounds like its coming from the dash....... just a thought.

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'd say check the serpentine belt. Also, check the idler pulleys for a worn out bearing. I had to replace both of mine with only 60,000 miles, would squeel like a pig when cold.