1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weird idea.....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trustyrusty, Jan 8, 2013.

1. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We use a compact JD tractor with a 54" blade for larger sidewalks and shovels/single stage Toro for smaller walks. The problem with a blade is that once the snow gets built up along the edge of the walk it starts to narrow down due to the inability of the blade to plow up and over the bank. We have a 47" two-stage blower for the same tractor to help combat this problem and to deal with larger snows.

The smaller walks aren't an issue as the single stage throws the snow far enough that the bank doesn't form as quickly. Which brings me to my point......

Why don't the compact equipment manufacturers (JD, Massey, New Holland, Bobcat, Kubota, Ventrac, etc.) build front mount single stage blowers? Ya, I know, I could use the two-stage all the time but the single stage gets the walk cleaner, etc.

Has anybody ever heard of a larger single stage blower mounted on the front of some sort of carrier?
  2. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I think it might wear out the paddles to quick? Try a broom, I think you will like it better.
  3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

They do make exactly what you're asking for. I own a single stage blower that fits on the front of my commercial front mount mower. I rarely use it but whenever I do it works well.

And something else to consider....I took my 54" JD blade and added 6" extensions to it so that it's now 66" wide. The extra foot makes a big difference.
  4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I talked to a John Deere salesman about this. He's actually been asked a couple of times about it. His answer was this:

No point for us to make it, the 5 people that would buy it would be dissapointed that it didn't throw as far as their 2 stage equivalent, and they'd complain about it too much.
  5. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

We wore one 54" blade completely out so we cut the moldboard and made wings that angle forward, not sure the length of the wings but overall just shy of 7' with a nice scoop. We rarely use them now as that machine is dedicated to walks but we used to do small parking lots with it. Small but nimble and quick with a hydrostatic trans, and with a box blade on behind for pulling snow out of trapped areas it would do some small lots as fast or faster than a truck.
  6. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

Which tractor you have? Is it possible to have a rear blade on? You could use your 2 stage to remove the sides between storms then use your blade and repeat when snow builds up again
  7. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Another option would be to mount a rear blade with an offset capability. Then you could shelf the side like the big wing plow trucks do in high snow areas.
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

That's a great idea.

The only other real idea is to find a 2 stage blower for a dingo/mini skid and mount it to the front with a set of auxiliary hydraulics.

9. Some times we have gone back and raised the front blade half the height of the banks and driven the tractor 1/2 in the snow and 1/2 on the walk to push the bank back. Yes, we then had to replow the walk. Just a thought.
  10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The broom and offset rear blade seem to be the ticket to take care of just about every condition.