1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weird heater problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sydenstricker Landscaping, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My blower motor only works on 3-4-5. Does nothing on one and two. Then while the heat is on it sounds like the door for recirculate or outside vent keeps opening and closing. The selector for defrost, etc works fine. And to top it off when I am accelerating from a stop it sounds like a faucet is running on the passenger side. No leaks,etc. This has me stumped. This is an a/c equipped truck. 2000 2500 6.0

2. Tracy89

Tracy89 Senior Member
    from Maine

blower motor resistor. Had to replace it in my truck just last week. if its obs im not sure where it is. Mine is only a 1500 nbs but it was located inside the blower motor cover and is a pain in the butt to change. Im a pretty big guy and trying to squeeze between the seat and the dash on the floor wasn't easy. Took me about 20 minutes.

3. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Blower motor resistor replace it with a good qualty part Also replace the wiring harness that goes to, It is possible that is what could have started the fire in my truck back in october I bet if you take it off it looks burnt!

4. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Yup it the Blower motor resistor as stated above it's not that hard of a job but it's tricky when when you have to squeeze under the dash and between the seat. You almost have to kinda hang upside down.

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Thanks guys I'm gonna try it tomorrow. Sounds like some creative body placement and swearing are in my future with this lol

6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

its up under the passenger side glovebox, but above where your feet are.A few 7mm screws to take out the cover for everything and then you will see it.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And you have air in the cooling system. So either you didn't get it all out the last time you had the system open, or there's a small leak allowing air in. Doesn't take much of a leak to allow air in (thus the gurgling you hear). It doesn't even have to be enough to leak on the ground so you have to look it over closely.

8. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Check with your local dealership as there was a recall on those for that problem. the resistor will melt and could cause a fire. if your truck is under that recall they will replace it for free with the upgraded part. mine and my wifes both fell under this recall and it didn't cost me a dime.

9. Sydenstricker Landscaping

This is on hold till tomorrow. Had to go play in some snow for a bit. Don't wanna play in the three season garage right now lol

10. deere615

Correct me If I am wrong but I don't think it was ever a recall chevy new there was a problem but never recalled them. I think they were recalled in Canada but not USA

11. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I got a notice for my 04 yukon saying they would replace the resistor and harness if it failed. I got the notice last fall.

12. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

recall may have been the wrong word but chevy sent me 2 notices to bring the trucks in and have them replaced. Crivelli in Mt. Pleasant did mine with no problems. By the way how do you like the snow dogg plows? I know we didn't get to plow much but i'm thinking of getting a v plow and they are a bit less money than most and i like the trip edge. I'm south of you in the Connellsville area. Mike

13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Got it done finally. Took all of 20 minutes and no swearing lol. Wires weren't burnt or melted at all. The circuit board was a little burnt though. Works on 1 and 2 now. Thanks much guys!!

14. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

not as ez on my 95

15. deere615

I hoe you still replaced the wire harnes though mine were not burnt either when I did it but one got burnt later. yeah the circuit board on mine was pretty fried and all of my numbers still had worked on the white truck too!

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

the other noise sounds like the motor that moves the flapper