1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Weird Headlight Issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ilhmt, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

I had to drive my truck (95 Dodge 1500) in town yesterday and when I was coming back home the headlights on my plow (Western Uni-Mount Poly) started turning off and on. I don't mean flickering, they would shut off, stay off about 1 or 2 seconds and come back on. They would do this about every 3 to 5 seconds. I'm going to try and track the problem down this afternoon so hopefully someone can give me a few things to look at to get me started? Thanks!! Don

2. monsonant

monsonant Junior Member

Would checking the wiring for loose connections or bad grounds be too obvious a suggestion ?

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

check for a bad connection for the brown wire at the point where it taps into the truck marker lights.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Two plug relay setup or three plug iso module?

5. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

It would be if it wasn't so timed in its problem. It's not overly sporadic, they don't flicker and the bumpiness of the road appears to play no part. I'm guessing a relay (or module?) is heating up and kicking out. Now I just need to locate the relay. I had the plow installed so I'm not sure where it's usually placed. :confused: (You can probably tell I'm not overly mechanically inclined....lol)

But thanks for the responses thus far. :salute:

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing you haven't driven it enough to see if both the Hi and Lo beams are affected. And when the plow lights go out, do the truck lights come on?

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

try wiggling the vehicle n plow harness were they connect together. I had the same problem. I had a pin that was loose and broke..Light would go off then on while I was plowing... Or check the connection inside the plow lights housing , or the brown wire........

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  8. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Good question. No, the truck lights aren't coming on when the plow lights go out and I didn't try the low beams. What would that tell me?

Twinman...I will check those things as soon as I get home this afternoon.

9. Brian Ski

Brian Ski Junior Member

Well something I can help on.... If it seems like they are timing... Like certain period on and certain period off... The headlight switch has a self resetting circuit breaker in it... I am guessing either the circuit breaker is getting weak or somehow you are getting more of a load on the headlights...

When you are in a parking lot sitting still, does it still do it??? If yes try disconnecting one headlight if it stays on sounds like circuit breaker is going bad... If your headlight switch is on a pull stick... Like the old cars the breaker is built into it and you will have to replace the whole switch assembly... I still think the newer switches have them built into them but not sure...