1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

WEIRD down issue!

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by dirtymax, Jan 29, 2011.

1. dirtymax

dirtymax Junior Member
    from Ontario

Ok here is the deal......If I leave my plow in float, which energizes the down solenoid, for an extended period of time, then raise it to the very top and try to lower it, it will not go back down. If I leave it sit for a few minutes, it will lower. Raise the blade 1/4 way, 1/2 way, 3/4 the way, it will go down. Absolutely baffled by this one. Swapped solenoid for one I know is A1, and same thing. Plow works mint as long as I dont leave it in float for a long period of time (5 mins or more). Almost like the solenoid is over heating and shutting down untill it cools down a bit, which I know isn't the case. Is there an adjustment of some sort for relief pressure. Also, after doing this test and blade wouldn't lower, all I had to do was crack the line on the up cylinder a bit (i mean very little) and the blade would lower. Almost seems like when the up cylinder is fully extended it is putting too much fluid pressure on the system for the down valve to release.........any ideas AMOCERINO???

2. jrjr2u

jrjr2u Senior Member

Try loosening the packing nut. It helped mine. That's the large nut where the chrome cylinder goes into the housing. Loosen it too much and it will leak though, just a smidgen.....

3. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

You will have to check if there is power for float that is the green wire at your controller and if there is check at the float valve at the manifold.When you have it in float does your jack switch work?

4. dirtymax

dirtymax Junior Member
    from Ontario

Yes, have already checked all that amocerino, jack switch works even when plow won't go down and there is power to the solenoid, like i said only does this if plow is left in float for an extended period of time and won't drop if its raised to the very top, half way or anywhere in bewtween, no issue.........very baffled here, seems like a pressure issue to me.........any more thoughts?

5. amocerino

amocerino Senior Member
    from 01606

Try some different things when it will not go down remove the hose see if it drops.Then try it at the valve by backing the valve out.If it drops there is a problem with the valve and you can clean it.