1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

weird contract

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trainhorntruck, Sep 20, 2012.

1. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

I was reading a contract, and the way it's set up is a little weird. It's per push and the trigger is 1 in and every 2 additional inches. My question is what does the contractor do when theres a storm say 10 inches because he would plow at 1", 3", 5", 7", 9" when again on the tenth inch ? it doesn't meet the 2 inch trigger ? but you can't leave the parking lot a mess. do you bill them the full amount that last push? That seems a little odd when it snows any even amount of snow exp 2, 4, 6, 8, 10,12 and so on there lift with that one inch at the end. What does the contracter do ? It's the first time Ive seen a contract set up like that figured I'd see that you guys thought.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Thing is you will never get the 10 inches:). If your plowing every 1-2 inches bill them for for each total when you were there. Now I know some places will want a bill for the total snow fall10" which more of the time is less them billing 5 2' snows.

3. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

reread my tread I messed it up the first time i typed it I'm really tired

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most likely your not going to be there every 2 inches if it keeps snowing. So you will bill for the amount of snow on the ground when you get there. Sell them a seasonal contract.

5. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

That contract is set up like two of ours and depending on the amount forecasted and rate of snowfall will depend on when we push.
    FYI: Two seasons ago we had a storm that put 7" down from 11PM to 8AM. We pushed every 2" that fell and did a final clean up and salt at the end. They got a bill for every time we hit the lot even for the final clean up which was about an Inch at the 2" set rate. That is the way this place has had their contract written and is how they want it billed.

6. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

this place wants the contract this way I just thought it would be a little funny billing wise because they mite say oh you plowed that one last inch and now your charging another push when it didn't meet the trigger

7. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

bump ............

8. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Yes they might but chances are they would not be happy if you did not clear that last inch. Our accounts have never questioned the bill bc they always get quality work and a clean lot.

9. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Are you pushing and billing every 2" even during the hours they're closed? Usually that's for open hours to keep passable.I've got to get some accounts like that,I could get rid of half my customers! Rock on!

10. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

All hours and that's what i was thinking just do the final inch. I was thinking better do it and have a nice looking lot and charge a little more rather then save them a few bucks and have them pissed and mess up my name in the plow business

11. 95HDRam

95HDRam Senior Member

Exactly, they wont be unhappy with a clean lot.

12. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Sounds to me this place really has a zero tolerance for snow on the lot. A lot of my factories here are the same way. You start plowing at 1" and keep it clear till it stops. If they want you to start at 1" then that last 1" is a no brainer to me. What I do it I plow the lot once when it starts and then I go and do others then when 2" is back on the factories lot I go back and hit it again. That's a good account congrats!!

13. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

Went and signed, it looked good to me and i didn't here anything negative about it so I'm plowing on this winter payup